Can't Decide between these two Hard Drives for upgrade. Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSIILENT, Mar 24, 2011.

1. iSIILENT macrumors regular

i have a 15 inch macbook pro 2,2 ..

Am looking to upgrade my Hard drive from owc, am trying to decided to get the 500GB Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 Hard Drive ($89.99) or the 750GB WD Scorpio Black Hard Drive ($125.99)

Each comes with the enclosure and tool kit.

i have read mix reviews on both , but against other hard drives.

Head to head am trying to figure out which is best overall.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

basically identical specs, i'd go for the cheaper one :)
    also the seagate momentus has the exact same specs but i was able to find it at $73

3. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

I would go for the Hitachi, better battery performance with little hit on speed.

4. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

The SCorpio black is slightly better but the hitachi is almost just as fast but uses less power and is silent.

5. iSIILENT thread starter macrumors regular

Lol... guess am still on the same boat.... does the 250gb extra space takes the cake, i mean ive heard that the wd scorpio has some sort of spinning or ticking problems and have heard good things about the hitachi but i am getting extra space going with the wd...what to do , what to do...

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I've seen many people complain about the loudness of Hitachi drives. I recommend the WD Scorpio based off personal experience.

7. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I have a Hitachi 500GB in my uMBP and I've only heard it a handful of times. Unless you work in an anechoic chamber, I can't believe it matters.

But anyway, no issues with the Hitachi, and going to a 7200 rpm drive kicked up the peppiness a half-notch in my case.

8. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

The warranty on the Scorpio is 5 years. I think the Hitachi is 3 years.

9. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

+1 the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB would be my choice over what you have listed, I think a 750GB version is on the way 2.

10. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

Just replaced my Seagate Momentus XT with the 750GB WD Scorpio Black. So far the Scorpio is quieter, takes less power, and vibrates less. Surprisingly, the boot time is the same. So far, very happy with this drive. Will hold me until I pull the trigger on a SSD and slide this into the optibay.

11. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Just go with the WD as you'll get 250GB more and the platter density is greater and therefore slightly faster. As far as spinning and ticking everyone has an opinion positive and negative.:rolleyes: I wouldn't focus on the negative. In a couple to 3 years it won't matter anyway since you'll probably jump on a SSD by then so who cares about warrantee.:p

The only real question remains is will the cost on the WD break the bank? If not then jump for the WD. You'll be surprised on how much the 250GB difference will make.

Remember computers dramatically slow down when the HDD reach's the 80% full mark. So the 750GB will really be a 600GB. A 500 will really be a 400GB.:cool:

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Go for the hitachi. My experience with WD has not been good. Constant spinning up and down of the drive, plus it was loud when working.

13. Cantisama macrumors member

14. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem as well, but think I'm going to go with the 5400RPM 750GB Hitachi drive. My current Hitachi OEM drive is very quiet, which is my top priority. It's only $89.

15. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

16. Genocyde macrumors member

17. Cantisama macrumors member

Good point, only go with amazon/newegg if you already have an external time machine backup and the proper tools.

The difference in price for the Hitachi is substantial (you pay ~48% more when going with OWC) so it's worth checking if you already have the necessary equipment.

18. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I ordered the Scorpio Black with fast shipping from Amazon via circuit city and it came literally the next day. A day before the minimum delivery window.

I was like: what is this package doing here?

Wasn't expecting it.

19. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

The hitachi 7200rpm 500gb is the one apple includes in the BTO right? It was free exchange for my order. If so that saves me a few bucks :)

20. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I had been waiting for Hitachi to start shipping their travelstar 750gb 7200rpm drive. It was announced last October and was supposed to ship this quarter. I just learned that WD bought out Hitachi so now I am looking at the WD for a 750GB replacement. Some concerns about the clicks and spin-ups but I guess it is either WD or Seagate if I want that size and speed.

21. sugarboylovemac macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

Why did you replace the Seagate Momentus XT with the 750GB WD Scorpio Black ? I am looking for new hd for my new MBP in the optical bay// .

22. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

You really don't need a hybrid drive like the XT for data storage in your optical bay. The cache memory holds programs so they load faster so that helps with the main drive. For storage the Scorpio Black is fast and huge, 50% more than the 500gb Momentus XT, plus is it uses less power and is quieter.

I just ordered one (WD CB 750gb) myself from Amazon yesterday for $109 - about the same price.