Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YummyIceCream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
USA
Hello! I am currently planning to buy a new Mac, but I am not sure which one to buy.
Here's the configurations I plan on upgrading on each Mac

5K iMac:
3.5Ghz i5
8GB of RAM
256 GB of Flash
AMD M209X 2GB

Mac Mini
3.0Ghz i7
16GB of RAM (might as well go full since it's not upgradable!)
512 GB of Flash
I also intend to buy a 4K display, like the Asus PQ321Q

Now, the reason the iMac's specs aren't maxed out is because I am on a budget below $3000, and considering how much cheaper the Mac Mini is, it's certainly more better, right? Am I missing something important about either the Mini or the iMac?

Confusius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
New York
Hello! I am currently planning to buy a new Mac, but I am not sure which one to buy.
Here's the configurations I plan on upgrading on each Mac

5K iMac:
3.5Ghz i5
8GB of RAM
256 GB of Flash
AMD M209X 2GB

Mac Mini
3.0Ghz i7
16GB of RAM (might as well go full since it's not upgradable!)
512 GB of Flash
I also intend to buy a 4K display, like the Asus PQ321Q

Now, the reason the iMac's specs aren't maxed out is because I am on a budget below $3000, and considering how much cheaper the Mac Mini is, it's certainly more better, right? Am I missing something important about either the Mini or the iMac?

The Mini has a much weaker, integrated graphics card.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
Can the Mini drive a 4K display ?

Having driven a 4k monitor off the rMBP with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, I can tell you that running one off an integrated graphics card would be an even worse experience.

My suggestion is to go for the iMac. You get a better screen too.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
The 5K iMac is the superior choice between the two choices you provided. However, it's really hard of for any of us to give you solid advice unless you tell us what your requirements are and want you want to use the computer for.

Bryan

YummyIceCream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
USA
It seems that most people here are dismissing the Mac Mini due to it's graphics. I won't be doing any video editing or gaming, just to let you know.
Also, I hear that the Mac Mini can support 4K but only at 30Hz. Forgive me for such a stupid question, but what is the difference between 30Hz and 60Hz?

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC
I would buy it from a third party reseller (MacMall, for example) and use the tax savings to get the better GPU.

If necessary, I would sacrifice the 256GB SSD and go with the 1TB fusion drive.

----------

It seems that most people here are dismissing the Mac Mini due to it's graphics. I won't be doing any video editing or gaming, just to let you know.
Also, I hear that the Mac Mini can support 4K but only at 30Hz. Forgive me for such a stupid question, but what is the difference between 30Hz and 60Hz?

30Hz means that the screen refreshes only 30 times per second. The net result is visible stuttering. It actually looks far worse to the human eye than only half the speed sounds like it should.

It's basically tolerable for working in a spreadsheet, but will be annoying even in basic usage. The mouse cursor will stutter across the screen and scrolling will look terrible. And that is assuming that there is nothing else holding back performance.

----------

Also, to be clear, the Mobile Core i7 in the Mini will be slower than the desktop Core i5 in the iMac. It's clocked slower and only has two cores. Optioning the Mini up into that price range is not a good choice.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
You and I are alike. I also agonize about these 2 computers with more or less the same config. Do NOT get the fusion drive. A spinner inside the computer has no business being there in 2014.

Also, 30hz is very flickery. Do not plan on doing that on a nice new 4k monitor. It will be horrible and give you headaches.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
The RAM is still upgradeable with retina iMac. So keep it 8GB and buy the RAM yourself, 16 or 32GB is up to you and your needs, but either way it will save you tons of money by installing it yourself.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
You are looking at the right trade-offs for your purchase. I would recommend sticking with the 256 GB SSD. To me it seems that the deciding factor may turn out to be the display.

You haven't mentioned what screen you would be using if you got the mini. If you already have a display that is a size and resolution you are OK with, then the mini would certainly be more budget-friendly! If you would plan on purchasing a new good quality display then it would seem that buying the r iMac might be the better move.

Also remember that you would need keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. with the mini. Again, what you have on hand vs. what you would need to buy should be considered in your decision.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I have a 2012 Mac Mini with my added 750GB SSD, 16GB Ram and quad core i7. All the specs are there. And I added a highly rated Dell 2713 monitor. Excellent looking display.
But, not nearly as visually appealing as a non retina iMac display. Must be the glass overlay or heavier contrast. Even though I put together a very nice setup, every time I go in an Apple store, I just stare at the iMac in regret. So I have ordered a retina iMac which will look even better to me. I don't think I want the piece meal route again until a 5K retina thunderbolt display is available. Apple displays just have it going on (for me).

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada

30hz looks like a disaster

----------

You and I are alike. I also agonize about these 2 computers with more or less the same config. Do NOT get the fusion drive. A spinner inside the computer has no business being there in 2014.

Also, 30hz is very flickery. Do not plan on doing that on a nice new 4k monitor. It will be horrible and give you headaches.

They have completely different configurations. The iMac has dedicated graphics, and a real 4 core cpu, where as the mini has integrated gfx and a 2 core cpu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.