Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
i use both systems and find it quite enjoyable to be fluent in both operating systems. Switching back and forth keeps one from becoming to boring. Best of both worlds IMO. Some things I really like about iOS and some things I really like better about Android. Some apps I like run great on android and some run great on iOS. Frequently an app that runs good on android is crap on iOS and vice-versa. I give the two app stores equal ratings. My iPhone 7 has a great external sound system as well as my HTC 10. The pixel's is crap. This isn't important to a lot but is to me. The pixel has numerous issues and seems to be a crap shoot as to whether you get lucky and get a good one or are stuck with issues. If you read on the android central forums at all or google chat you'll get an earful.
OP, In your situation here's what I might choose to do, The iPhone 8 and pixel2 should be released around the same time. Google needs to make lots of improvements and the iPhone 8 is supposed to be new, different and great although pricey. I'd wait and see then choose one or the other.

Reactions: 5105973

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The other option is to wait 6 months and see what the phone landscape looks like?
6 months is way too long to wait. A month or two is fine if something big is about to come out, but in 6 months when the new iPhone comes out, if you're underwhelmed and decide you don't want it, your logic will be to wait 6 months for the Galaxy S9 or the next LG or HTC phone. You'll always be waiting.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Well in six months you'll have access to what I believe will be a game changing iPhone. I would hold out until then. Also you say your Apple Watch has no use. The notifications alone have changed my life.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Amazon's deals page still has the £50 BLU Android I bought. https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-P...6855803&sr=8-2&keywords=B01LS9Z218|B01LS9Z1YG
At that price, it's worth buying just to see if Android will suit, but bare in mind the specs are the absolute minimum that's still usable.

I posted a brief review here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/i-bought-a-£50-android.2029039/#post-24226109

It's good enough that I won't buy an iPhone 7s or 8 - I'll keep my 7 for a while, and then probably buy a OnePlus 4, or something Chinese and super-cheap, but still good. The hardware is commoditised now, but there are little things about iOS - like reachability and tap the top of the screen to go to the top of the page - which currently have no equivalents on Android. The question is, how much are these little things worth? I've come to the conclusion that they are not worth the £400 premium over a decent Android.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've had both. Never owned an android phone but I did have a android tablet. I also have an android powered tv. I used to be 100% apple but now have a mixture. Can't see why mixing and matching is a bad thing.
[doublepost=1486856166][/doublepost]
Well in six months you'll have access to what I believe will be a game changing iPhone. I would hold out until then. Also you say your Apple Watch has no use. The notifications alone have changed my life.

Out of interest, apart from rumours what makes you think the Iphone 8 or whatever they decide to call it will be a game changer?

Eyeball recognition?

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Kinda hard to believe the 8 will be a big game changer. Smaller bezels curved glass(yawn) and facial recognition if thats important to folks. It'll certainly be a price changer from what reports are saying. North of a grand, Yikes! I wonder if it will come with any more RAM. The hype from Apple has certainly started already so it better not be a let down. The prestige mongers will be the first to put their money down no doubt. I can't imagine it being worth the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbayrgs

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I've had both. Never owned an android phone but I did have a android tablet. I also have an android powered tv. I used to be 100% apple but now have a mixture. Can't see why mixing and matching is a bad thing.
[doublepost=1486856166][/doublepost]

Out of interest, apart from rumours what makes you think the Iphone 8 or whatever they decide to call it will be a game changer?

Eyeball recognition?
A bezel-less iPhone will be amazing.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
- keyboard curser control - this is available on Android with both the native Gboard app or alternative like Swiftkey. Also, you get full featured keyboards that can fully substitute the default keyboard (unlike on iOS where some operation on third party keyboards in hindered).

- more consistent battery life (though I hear Sony phones are ok) - Zero problems with battery on my Pixel. It's every bit as good.

- better performing apps compared to android and new games come out earlier - Total myth. Apps work just as well, actually some work better in my experience.

- iMessage and general apple ecosystem consistency

- more intuitive software where every app works well with each other. Android has gotten better here but not on the level of apple. Again, myth. In fact, I strongly prefer Android who let you specify a default app unlike iOS who force you to use their native apps (Maps for example).

lol I think you quoted the wrong person. Again as I said I love android. Great mobile os. But there are several advantages for me to stick to iOS with.
My banking app.
Apple Pay with my bank.
Some apps that I use daily are not on the android especially my work app.
Apple Watch
Some games like Isaac which I play daily.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I love android. Great mobile os. But there are several advantages for me to stick to iOS with.
My banking app.
Apple Pay with my bank.
Some apps that I use daily are not on the android especially my work app.
Apple Watch
Some games like Isaac which I play daily.

My bank has both Apple Pay, and Android Pay, and an app on both platforms. I don't own an Android with NFC, so I've never been able to try it though.

There is one app I love, which for reasons beyond me, is only on Android and Windows Phone, not iOS: Microsoft Office Remote. It's a killer app for me.

The combination of my £50 Android phone, and my £150 HP Stream (which came with Office 365 for a year), are better for presenting than a MacBook costing 10 times as much, and probably on a par with a Mac and iPhone combo costing 15 times as much.

I like my Apple Watch, but my colleague has a Samsung Gear, which in a quick comparison could do everything an original Apple Watch could do.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My bank has both Apple Pay, and Android Pay, and an app on both platforms. I don't own an Android with NFC, so I've never been able to try it though.

There is one app I love, which for reasons beyond me, is only on Android and Windows Phone, not iOS: Microsoft Office Remote. It's a killer app for me.

The combination of my £50 Android phone, and my £150 HP Stream (which came with Office 365 for a year), are better for presenting than a MacBook costing 10 times as much, and probably on a par with a Mac and iPhone combo costing 15 times as much.

I like my Apple Watch, but my colleague has a Samsung Gear, which in a quick comparison could do everything an original Apple Watch could do.
I've use android pay on the S7 edge when I had it. It works well enough. My only gripes are the fact that payments under £30 do not need to be authenticated with a fingerprint or passcode. The payment can be made when the phone is still locked so if you lost your phone or it was stolen people would have free reign with your cards until you realised and vale your bank. Also at the moment you can't use android pay on android wear, although I understand that it's coming in a feature update and Samsung pay isn't available in the UK.

Gachiennuocmam

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2017
I currently have an iPhone 6. I've been considering an iPhone 7 or 7 plus recently but also find myself thinking about moving on to a more value for money phone such as a OnePlus 3T, google pixel/xl, or a Samsung s7.

I've been an iPhone user for years and never used android.

The other option is to wait 6 months and see what the phone landscape looks like?

Comments guys and girls? I'm in the UK btw.
You can give it a try. Android is good but it will bother you more often than ios. They have issues like going out of ram, slowing down with time and loads of fake app. Dont forget to buy a flagship instead of some mid range phones.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
You can give it a try. Android is good but it will bother you more often than ios. They have issues like going out of ram, slowing down with time and loads of fake app. Dont forget to buy a flagship instead of some mid range phones.

Maybe you're thinking of the old school android. Newer android devices don't have those problems but rarely and usually it's user error. They don't slow down anymore and come with plenty of RAM, apps aren't fake and some work way better on android than the same app on iOS. For someone who has never tried android it sounds daunting because of false assumptions by people who haven't used it in years if ever. It's gotten a lot better and I'll be the first to admit it did used to be a train wreck back in the earlier days. I'm not knocking iOS but don't think it fair for someone to knock android either. I like iPhone and have a 7 as well as a couple android devices that don't lag or have any fake apps and haven't slowed down at all. So not sure what you are basing your information on. Personal experience with an old samsung perhaps. In any case apple is a vanilla , one size fits all and you better be fine with it. Android is a multitude of flavors ready to be customized as much as you want or not, users preference. As for getting a flagship, of course they are always the best, but with apple all you get are flagships at least the flagship price anyway. Some of the newer android made in China handsets are way cheaper than the top of the line and yet have the same specs. Wait . iPhones are made in China to.

Suggestion to the OP, maybe pickup a gently used android if you want to try it out, keep your iPhone if possible and sample both and see what you think. Check out androidcentral.com for loads of info.

Reactions: rbrian and ABC5S

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I currently have an iPhone 6. I've been considering an iPhone 7 or 7 plus recently but also find myself thinking about moving on to a more value for money phone such as a OnePlus 3T, google pixel/xl, or a Samsung s7.

If you've lasted this long I would wait till the iPhone 8 and if it isn't for you the new pixel will be out and so will the new Samsung phones.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point

Simple, IMO, wait for the 8 and decide. I may be locked into iTunes movie ecosystem (which is even slowly dying in our house with netflix making bomb shows now) but I haven't bought digital music in maybe 1.5-2 years. Since spotify and netflix, among other new apps like it and tv channels making on demand apps, "ecosystems" are not going away but the line is starting to blur. By that I mean you can have an android phone and everything else apple. Or you can have everything windows and chromecast and have an iPhone.

Soooo, I have decided that if the 8 doesn't bring something that is actually cool to ME that I will either keep the 7 for another year and just have a lower bill finally or I will start looking at some of the samsungs. IMO, sadly the iPhone is no longer the leader of innovation in the smartphone category and all the Macs seems to be way behind as well. So, hopefully apple makes some crazy good moves this year and we get amazing hardware updates, products and software updates.

Reactions: rbrian

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
I've been a big fan of the LG's G-series beginning with the Optimus G and currently use the G5 for testing.

I like both platforms (iOS and Android), but, I enjoy more iOS's less fussy presentation of "turn-it-on-and-start-using-it". Spend a little time to get Android to look and feel the way I like and it's a toss up between the two operating systems for myself. I think we've reached the point, for most folks, that either platform works well and are very similar in overall operation.

The near perfect little iPhone SE is my daily driver, though, because it's the near perfect combo of size and performance.

Gachiennuocmam

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2017
Maybe you're thinking of the old school android. Newer android devices don't have those problems but rarely and usually it's user error. They don't slow down anymore and come with plenty of RAM, apps aren't fake and some work way better on android than the same app on iOS. For someone who has never tried android it sounds daunting because of false assumptions by people who haven't used it in years if ever. It's gotten a lot better and I'll be the first to admit it did used to be a train wreck back in the earlier days. I'm not knocking iOS but don't think it fair for someone to knock android either. I like iPhone and have a 7 as well as a couple android devices that don't lag or have any fake apps and haven't slowed down at all. So not sure what you are basing your information on. Personal experience with an old samsung perhaps. In any case apple is a vanilla , one size fits all and you better be fine with it. Android is a multitude of flavors ready to be customized as much as you want or not, users preference. As for getting a flagship, of course they are always the best, but with apple all you get are flagships at least the flagship price anyway. Some of the newer android made in China handsets are way cheaper than the top of the line and yet have the same specs. Wait . iPhones are made in China to.

Suggestion to the OP, maybe pickup a gently used android if you want to try it out, keep your iPhone if possible and sample both and see what you think. Check out androidcentral.com for loads of info.
How about keeping their devices updated over years? You may be right. I still have a Xiaomi mi4 which is still good but my best advice is still going to those flagship android not any mid range ones. If it was my turn to choose i would go for Pixel.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Simple. Sell your iPhone (before it lost its value further) and buy an Android.
There's no point in waiting for 6 months since Android phones' lifecycles are all over the place, depending on which brand and model you want to stick to. Heck, go with a Chinese mid-ranger, and you can replace your phones every 6 months while still have some money in the bank. :)

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
OP, if you decide you may want to give the pixel a t
How about keeping their devices updated over years? You may be right. I still have a Xiaomi mi4 which is still good but my best advice is still going to those flagship android not any mid range ones. If it was my turn to choose i would go for Pixel.
My Verizon HTC 10 is still waiting for android "N" as well as my unlocked Moto X Pure. So yes, depending on how important quick updates are to the user then a google device like the pixel could be the best choice for the most timely updates . Almost got a pixel but they started to report issues of various types so glad I didn't roll those dice. It's been a big disappointment to a lot of folks. It's always something.
Getting a flagship is usually the best option, but then there's that flagship pixel.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I would argue otherwise. You are not getting a significantly better support for those Android flagships for the extra money you spend. Heck, even Nexus/Pixel will only be guaranteed to get OS updates for just 2 years from the launch date (so if you are buying a pixel now, you already have less than 2 years of updates).

So it's better to just buy cheaper mid-ranger, and replace it as often as you like. You will still came out ahead vs spending $700+ for a flagship. Besides, to me, security updates are more important than the actual Android version nowadays. My cheap Xiaomi Redmi 2 is still getting latest security updates despite its core OS is still on lollipop. Can't say the same for many more expensive phones from the likes of Sony/HTC/Samsung/etc.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I do use a MacBook Pro and an iPad and I have an Apple Watch v1 (sat in its box as I cannot find a use for it). I was deliberating if the integration of all those devices mattered that much to me. I think I might miss iMessage but after that I am struggling to think of any issues moving to android so it comes down to how good is android and how good are the android phones?

With those I wouldn't switch.

I know there are people here that have them and Android phones but I wouldn't be particularly happy with a setup like that.

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
I think Apple do have a very good support service, particularly in store, its good you can just walk along to a store and get a device looked at. I do have to wonder how much of a nightmare hardware issues would be with the various Android device manufactures (except Samsung who have a high street presence now).

I think my mind has been made up to stay with Apple.... the next thing is to work out whether to wait for later this year or go for one of the current devices. I thought I'd hate the 7 Plus but on inspecting it closely recently its a great device (not sure my pockets would agree) but it is so expensive, its hard to justify that cost tbh.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I think Apple do have a very good support service, particularly in store, its good you can just walk along to a store and get a device looked at. I do have to wonder how much of a nightmare hardware issues would be with the various Android device manufactures (except Samsung who have a high street presence now).

I think my mind has been made up to stay with Apple.... the next thing is to work out whether to wait for later this year or go for one of the current devices. I thought I'd hate the 7 Plus but on inspecting it closely recently its a great device (not sure my pockets would agree) but it is so expensive, its hard to justify that cost tbh.
I was in the same dilemma as you, also going from iPhone 6 (Plus, though) and not being sure which direction to take. I was all set to buy the Note 7 but when that flunked, I got kind of paralyzed.

Finally one month ago I was about to buy a new in box Nexus 6P but suddenly found a deal which would give me a nice wireless speaker for free if I signed up for a 7 Plus. I had been unimpressed with it up until then but went for it on a hunch.

And now I'm glad I did. It really is a solid upgrade from my 6 Plus. And I'm happy to find that 3d party keyboards (I use Gboard) work fine on this phone (was too slow & glitchy on the 6 Plus). Swype on my old Note 2 was more versatile but at least I have good swipe typing now.

Come September I might upgrade to the 8. Or maybe the next Note if it's as sexy as the last one... Or even Pixel 2! The good thing is that a new iPhone always gives you great second hand value.

But for the moment I'm very happy with the 7 Plus. Not recommending you to choose anything in particular, but just to let you know that I was in your situation and ended up loving the 7 Plus :)

PS. Oh and yeah the price... Honestly I wouldn't have gone for the 7 Plus (128 GB) if I hadn't got that speaker for free... :/ If money is a concern, then the Nexus 6P might still be a great choice at ca 250 EUR new if you can find one!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
- keyboard curser control - this is available on Android with both the native Gboard app or alternative like Swiftkey. Also, you get full featured keyboards that can fully substitute the default keyboard (unlike on iOS where some operation on third party keyboards in hindered).

Sorry I have a pixel and cursor control is rudimentary on GBoard by comparison to IOS's force touch keyboard. Indeed the force touch cursor control is probably the singular best part of force touch in all honesty. Swiping left and right on the small area of the space bar on Gboard doesn't really compare like for like at all.

Reactions: mjschabow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.