Can't decide PC or MAC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wingfaith, Dec 9, 2010.

1. wingfaith macrumors newbie

Hi, i'm planning on getting a laptop soon and this is going to be my first laptop, so its pretty special to me. I'm stuck between a macbook pro or a cheap pc laptop. My main usage for the laptop will be for school work. However, at certain times i'd really like to connect my laptop to my HUGE HD tv in the living room. I heard most people uses Pc laptop's HDMI for that. Also the program that i'm using only has a pc version its call "PPS" chinese program for streaming videoes online. I'm really heading towards the mac direction, but despite not ever owning a laptop, i've been a pc desktop owner for as long as i can remember.
    and budget wise, i'm really not liking the macbook pro for its price. I guess thats another reasons for the uncertainty :confused::confused::confused:

Hope you can guys can give me some advice,
    thank you :)

2. vantheman5211 macrumors newbie

take a macbook pro.after one month you will be laughing that you even considered a pc.

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Don't want to sound funny but what kind of schoolwork will you be doing? ie. high school or university,... etc.

4. dime21 macrumors 6502

Mac connects just as easily to your TV as a peecee would. Why are you comparing a Macbook Pro to a "cheap pc"? That's sort of an odd comparison to make. Macbook Pro is comparable to a more expensive high-end pc. Dollars-wise the pricing isn't much different, maybe a few hundred.

That said, even a high-end peecee laptop feels cheap and plasticy. A MBP just feels like a high-end product when you hold it. The user experience of the MBP is leagues above any peecee.

5. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I agree with the other replies and will add that you get what you pay for. Macs are more expensive going in but the ease of use and maintenance is unsurpassed.

Since going Mac, I can truly say that I use my computer now whereas my windows box was maintain, update and protect what seemed like a daily basis.

troutspinner

6. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Comparing a crap PC to a Macbook Pro is sort of silly. Of course I'll recommend the MBP.

however, if you were to say that you were looking into, I don't know, the Envy 14 then things would get a little bit tighter. Mind rephrasing your question? ;)

7. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

i'm thinking of getting a Kia or a lexus, what should i get? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Mercedes. DUH! :D

9. Kpjoslee macrumors regular

Kpjoslee

If you ask Mac or PC in mac forum, you would guess what the answer would be....MAC.:D

Get Macbook Pro and download XBMC and you will be pretty much set for your needs. It will definitely last you remainder of your school years.
    BTW, you might wanna wait until upcoming refresh of Macbook Pro with Sandy Bridge if you are not really desperate for one.

10. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

11. Ann P macrumors 68020

Come to the dark side. ;) In all seriousness, if you're a college student, you can purchase a MacBook or MacBook Pro with the educational discount. Like you, I was contemplating between a Mac or PC prior to my college-entry just 2 years ago. I'm glad to say that I went for a Mac and couldn't be happier. The OS and the ease of use is smooth and works seamlessly. Do consider!

12. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

sorry mercedes over lexus and kia.. no sry but that answer is impossible. go Ferrari!:eek:
    lol

13. iByrd441 macrumors newbie

I got my 1st macbook pro 2 weeks ago.. trust me, mac is the way to go!!

14. gggccc macrumors newbie

I've had a really good pc (win7, 3gigs ram) and my Mac mini not only out preforms it, but it is faster in every way. (start up, shut down, loading stuff, etc)
    Mac > PC
    They might be more expensive but I have one that is like 5-6 years old (iBook g4) and it still works perfectly. Just a little slow.

Sent from my iPhone 4

15. Mag1c22 macrumors member

i had a pc my whole life and decided a couple of months ago i wanted a laptop.

So i got a macbook pro (mostly because i loved the design) installed bootcamp and run windows 7, it's the best decision i've made in a while.

Theres lot's of things i still prefer windows for (been using it for quite a while) but i do like mac osx and love learning about a new OS.

I would recommend a MBP with bootcamp windows 7!

cannot go wrong!

16. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

That's not exactly a 'really good pc.'

Anyways, I do think that you will find OSX easier to keep running well/fast than Windows.

Or, at least, that's what I've found. OSX doesn't seem to get as bogged down as Windows have.

17. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

if you don't mind the "cheap plastic" feel of pc get this one lenovo laptop for $900:
    15.6" 1366x768 LED; Intel Core i7-740QM Quad-Core @ 1.73GHz; 8GB RAM; 500GB HDD; DVD burner; 802.11n + bluetooth; Win7; ATI Radeon HD5730 1GB; webcam; 6-cell battery; 1yr warranty

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/234484

18. RKpro macrumors 6502

If you can't make the decision just go with a mid-range Windows laptop. Sounds like you're on a budget and you have simple needs. Windows 7 really isn't that awful.

If by school work you mean MS Office type school work. Then I'd prefer to use the windows version of MS Office, it's easier to use, in my opinion.

HDTV connectivity, with a modern windows laptop you can connect directly with hdmi, without any extra adapters.

Your special Windows only software would run on a windows laptop without any extra steps, or layers. On MBP, you'll need to run in in a virtual machine, or buy and install windows and dual boot.

/some balance to overly biased recommendations

19. miguueeel macrumors member

Actually after a week.

20. dizmonk macrumors regular

I also just switched over... I would say that things that have impressed me including boot time, shut down time, applications open up and close faster (IMO), and the Macbook Pro very quickly picked up my network (both home and work), printers, and phone via Bluetooth... Even with Win 7 these things would take a LOT longer...

I'm still missing things like desktop themes and a quick way to get back to the desktop...

21. maynard7 macrumors newbie

When will probably this happen? Like in 3,6 or 9 months? Just curious since I'm considering buying one now as well. I don't really need it need it, but would fit great under the tree. Also my current PC is having problems just getting through the day. I need a stable computer come january/february when writing my master thesis.

22. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

If it means anything...I still have a still-functioning PowerBook G3 that I purchased in 1999. Great experience with it over the years.

Our IT guy at work says that if we switch over to Macs he would be out of a job. This is coming from a big PC guy...but I think he is starting to see the light!!!

I agree with earlier statement...with a tight budget you could pick up a pretty inexpensive PC but will start cussing it down the road as it gets real bloated and unstable. I have had nothing but frustrations over the years with PC laptops...well anything PC for that matter!!!

My daughter received a PC laptop (Dell) two years ago for Christmas. My son-inlaw eventually bought her a MacBook Pro 13" this summer as she was ready to throw the PC down the garbage disposal if it would have fit!!! You will have to pry her fingers from her MacBook Pro!!! She loves it!:D

23. puttputt macrumors regular

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if you go with the Kia? ... make sure you also get AAA, CAA, Winter Tires, Blankets, Anti-Freeze, etc. etc. ... might as well just buy a Tow Truck to go with it. :cool:

25. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

That baffes me aswell. Obviously people on here are going to push him to get a Mac. From the sounds of it, it sounds like any PC would do him but he wants a mac because of the looks. You would get the same answer all the time on here. Also if you went on to a Windows forum then you would get the answer for getting a PC there aswell. The best advice would be to play around with both and see which one you really like, not ask a load of Mac or Windows fan boys.