Can't decide, please help!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by StuartMoore, Oct 7, 2018.

1. StuartMoore macrumors regular

StuartMoore

Hi all.

I owned the first Series of Apple Watch when it released for around a year or so.
    I thought it was okay, but ended up selling it on.

The thing that's attracting me towards a new one is GPS.

I plan to use the watch for running outside at home, and on the treadmill offshore at work.
    Leaving my phone and just using the watch alone.

Will the non cellular version of the new Apple Watch be sufficient for what I want to use it for?
    With the first Series I found I always took my phone out with me running, I don't want to do that!

Thanks in advance.

2. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502a

Jason Hensley

The non cellular option will be sufficient, but when you want to leave your phone behind and use only the watch you won't get phone calls/text messages/etc. I'd recommend getting the cellular, I never knew I would enjoy not being tethered to my phone so much.

3. Venderious macrumors regular

Venderious

I would also get the cellular version. It does indeed give more freedom to leave your phone at home, especially when running outside. You don't have to carry around that phone, but you would still be able to get messages or phone calls.

4. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Just keep in mind with taxes and fees, cellular for the watch will be around $15 or more per month depending where you live.

5. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

StuartMoore

To be honest, my whole idea is to leave my phone at home so I don't get calls or messages when out on a run.

6. dthiss01 macrumors newbie

dthiss01

I think you just answered your own question.

7. RonFromOregon macrumors member

One nice thing about having the cellular model and not activating service is that you still have access to 911.

8. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

StuartMoore

Yep, thought that too!

I guess I wondered if running outside without cellular would be fine enough.

9. musicpenguy macrumors 65832

On T-Mobile it is $10 even - they include taxes with their prices

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Inbound is handled simply with do-not-disturb.

The question is whether you might want or need to make outbound. Or just want to let a loved one know you're running a bit late and not to worry?

Ever twist an ankle three miles out and wish you could call a friend or family member for a ride?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2018 ---
    Depends on the plan, but yes for most it is. On the other hand TMO coverage, while improved, isn't always on par with ATT/Verizon either.

11. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

StuartMoore

This is something I never really thought about actually. I live in the countryside, so hardly anyone around. Might be handy to have the option to call someone in case of an emergency...

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

As I understand it, even non-activated cellular models can call 911. So there's that to think about. Edit -- that's in the US, just noticed you're not -- check the specifics for your location.

Consider also -- your car rolls down an embankment. Where's you're phone? Under the seat? Flew out the window? Can you reach it? Your watch will still be on your wrist. (Assuming your wrist is still attached... :eek: )

Several other threads have beaten the cellular vs non-cell decision to an equine pulp, so best to read those. End of the day it depends on your specific circumstances. There's no right answer for everyone.

In my case, I am very often out of range of my phone and wifi yet still want to get calls/texts or make the same. Examples: walking the dogs out around the neighborhood while wife/kids are out, leaving my phone in my car at the gym to avoid locker theft, working in the yard or around my property, walking down to the dock at our lake place, going out on the kayak or paddleboard, etc. I used to think I always carried my phone everwhere, then I asked myself WHY? Found out much of it could be handled just fine with the watch.

13. billjw macrumors newbie

Wouldn't this be applicable to non-cellular as well? I know GPS only normally needs the phone but I thought it'd still have the 911/000 function ... this is actually quite important to me, having just had heart surgery and hanging out to start running again.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

No, not at all.

GPS only receives data from the GPS satellites. No outbound communication except via wifi or bluetooth to the phone.

15. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

StuartMoore

Tracking runs without your phone be okay with non cellular version!? It's all so confusing! Haha!

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

That’ll work fine — just need to receive gps for that.

17. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

StuartMoore

Thanks for your help. Just need to decide if I may require the call function at some point...

18. billjw macrumors newbie

Ok then, so it's buy a cellular version to run without the phone or always bring the phone. ... ah well, it is what it is :)

Thanks guys

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Personal choice of course, you can certainly run without the phone with the non-cellular version -- but you're dependent on others for accessing help if something happens. I survived just fine for many years that way.

I *choose* to have the cellular capability these days, as of course I'm a bit older and the world is a little different where I live. Cellular is by no means a necessity though, it remains a *choice* depending on the individual's circumstances. There's also the factor of how your area's LTE coverage is - since without it the cellular is no better than the wifi.

Me, I chose cellular -- but I don't want to imply that's the be-all-end-all option. Depends on individual circumstances.