Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uspcommuter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Hello Y'all,

Currently using a iMac G3 as an anchor to my Powerbook. I use the iMac to sync the data from my pb. Now with some cash, I am thinking about upgrading my anchor (iMac) b/c the syncing time has become a little bit unbearable. However, the bigger issue is I am running outta space and I would like to have some more processing power b/c recently I have begun photoshopping pictures and editing videos. So I am looking for a dual G4 (thinking about a MDD or quicksilver but older models fine too if I can get a video card that supports core image :-D) any place would you recommend that I can purchased a refurb or certified used machines?

Also, at the other end of the argument, should I skip buying an old machine and get Mini and one of the special design stackable minidrives?

I am leaning towards a powermac b/c if I want to expand on anything that will need I can slap on the respective PCI cards. In any case, any advice would be appreciated :) Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
What specific PCI cards are you thinking of? This is not a glib question, as the requirement for PCI expansion (as opposed to Firewire and USB) will push you in a specific direction. If you have a firm idea, then good, otherwise don;t let the PCI issue hang you up.

Dual 1 Gb MDD models in good shape still command about $1000 used on eBay. To this you'll have to add a monitor. And you may have to upgrade the video card. Maybe buy Tiger. The GeForce card in the entry level MDD machines sucks.

If you don't need the PCI slots, the iMac G5 17" or 20" blows them away for bang for the buck -- G5, X600 Pro or XT video, gorgeous screen, large SATA hard drive (granted, no room for another drive, you'd have to go Firewire), iLife '05.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I wouldn't go with an old machine unless you are using it for very basic tasks. Technology evolves so fast that you will regret buying anything but current machines. The usable life span of an older G4 tower for photoshop and video editing is just too short to make it worth while. If you're going to upgrade, then I'd save up for something that will last you a while. I second a new iMac, there a great value right now!

If you are just looking for a central computer as a host/backup machine, the minis are a great choice. I bought one to use as the central house computer and I backup my files from my PowerBook on it. It really is a great little machine and its surprisingly expandable. I would recommend a superdrive for backing stuff up if your powerbook doesn't have one already. You will probably have to wait on a firewire blue ray drive when they come out (they'll be pricey).

uspcommuter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
What specific PCI cards are you thinking of? This is not a glib question, as the requirement for PCI expansion (as opposed to Firewire and USB) will push you in a specific direction. If you have a firm idea, then good, otherwise don;t let the PCI issue hang you up.

Dual 1 Gb MDD models in good shape still command about $1000 used on eBay. To this you'll have to add a monitor. And you may have to upgrade the video card. Maybe buy Tiger. The GeForce card in the entry level MDD machines sucks.

If you don't need the PCI slots, the iMac G5 17" or 20" blows them away for bang for the buck -- G5, X600 Pro or XT video, gorgeous screen, large SATA hard drive (granted, no room for another drive, you'd have to go Firewire), iLife '05.

Hey CanadaRam,
Sorry I didn't elaborate more on my needs and what i have already. I do have a screen, tiger, and most of the peripheral I need, thats another reason why I didnt consider an iMac G5. The reason why I was leaning towards a tower was b/c I can add in drive as I need versus stuck to a single drive enclose in the iMacs. However, it was a good point that you brought that up. Another reason was the price.

PowerMac MDD (1,000) + 9600 (100 @ macsales) + 1 x WD Drives (150) + 1GB Ram (150) = 1400?

iMac G5 20" (stock) = 1700?

That is a good argument...hmm this is getting more complicated. :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I you already have a good screen, then I would go with the Power Mac. They are very upgradable. If cost is an issue, you should look into a refurb they have a lot of good deals. Full warranty is available.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I'm hoping they release new single G5 Towers next week. That would be a good option. If not, maybe a refurb or discounted Rev. C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.