Cant decide Qnap or Synology

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacMike81, Oct 20, 2012.

1. MacMike81 macrumors member

After switching to Apple about 4 years ago my device list has grown to include a wide array of apple products. As such I rely HEAVILY on iTunes and MOST IMPORTANTLY my Time Machine.

I currently only have a MBP linked to my TM (AE with 1TB USB) I will sooner or later be adding a iMac to the mix.

Ive pretty much tapped out my 1TB drive with TM backups. So Ive thought about getting a NAS. They seem to have gotten very user friendly with tons of great features that would benefit me, mobile apps, FTP, security cam storage, Time Machine, iTunes server...

Ive Pretty much narrowed it to the Qnap TS-419P II and Synology DS413J

Just wondering if these will fit my needs and what is involved with using and maintaining a NAS.

I am a fairly technical person, but I feel spoiled since the switch to Mac and even to iPhone. So I guess I expect things to "just work" with minimal setup/trouble shooting.

I suppose my main functions in order of importance would be 1) Time Machine, 2) iTunes including ATV, 3)File sharing once the iMac is around.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

I've used a Synology for all these functions and its always been spot on. As far as maintenance, once set up nothing is really required! It'll let you know when an update etc is available, and you have other packages and applications you can install on the NAS, like Plex, and so on.
    If you check out my youtube channel you'll find some useful videos on Synology NAS and its software. Check the playlist on the right side of my channel for the Synology videos.

3. MacMike81 thread starter macrumors member

Both models seem functionally almost the same really…

The Qnap IMO looks more industrial, has a convenient LCD display and easier access to drives.

The Synology appears to have a more polished UI and more sleek appearance. It also doesn't have as many ports on the back of it.

Honestly, at this point Ill probably get which ever one I can find the best deal on first.

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

I'm selling my Synology at the moment so could have cut you a deal. Shame you are so far away!
    Good luck in your search - both are great systems and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you choose.

5. = bluntman = macrumors regular

I've given up on QNAP after owning two 4-bay devices (TS-409 ProTurbo II and a TS-439). Both devices have been nothing but aggrevating on my mixed home network - extremely slow transfer rates and sometimes even disappearing completely from my network. I am far from a network guru, so I wanted something that just worked and my current Synology DS-412+ did just that. The UI wasn't as cryptic as the QNAP UI, everything was in plain English. I've only had my 412+ for a little over a week, but so far, so good! I couldn't be happier.

6. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

Be aware that Time Machine is not officially supported on NAS.

I have a Synology and Time Machine worked most of the time, but "most of the time" means that some time it didn't work, didn't find mybackup and tried to create another one. I couldn't trust it, so I reverted back to an USB drive.

If your primary usages are Itunes and Time Machine, maybe you should look at a Time Capsule.

7. MacMike81 thread starter macrumors member

A 3TB TC is $499. That is right at the same price for these NAS (with out drives)

By using a NAS I get TONS of features the TC doesn't offer.

I guess I could go the cheap route and just get a larger USB for my Airport.

Just a thought, if I attach a large USB drive to a iMac on my home network for Time Capsule can my MBP also back up to it wirelessly ?

8. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

True. On the other hand, you may lose the feature that you are actually using.

Yes. But, I don't think it is officially supported either.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that you shouldn't use a NAS. I have a Synology and I really like it. However, you may have to rethink the way you are doing things if you want all the benefit of using a NAS.