can't decide....ughhh...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ThomasNuffan, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ThomasNuffan macrumors newbie

ThomasNuffan

Macbook Air:

1.8GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    512GB Flash Storage
    Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Air / 13" MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll
    Totsl: $2,348.00

Macbook Pro:

2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
    512GB Solid State Drive
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide (English)
    AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Air / 13" MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll
    Total: $2,648.00

would I see a dramatic performance difference between the two?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

On CPU-intensive tasks, you would notice a bit of a difference. For gaming, likely you wouldn't. It's a close call. They are two pretty evenly matched systems. What applications do you plan to run?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you need the optical drive or the extra ports that are on the MBP? Also from what I hear the MBP's screen better then the MBAs?

All things being equal, if you don't need the optical drive, I'd go with the MBA.

4. ThomasNuffan thread starter macrumors newbie

ThomasNuffan

It's a new laptop for school.

replacing an old laptop from early 2010.

so It would be used for the usual everyday stuff....with very light gaming...
    (minecraft - and various RTS games)

----------

and I don't need the optical drive.

5. oneMadRssn Suspended

oneMadRssn

Get the MBA, but what other answer do you expect in a MBA forum.

Seriously though, for school, the lightness of the MBA is it's best feature.

6. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I have both ... not as high-speced as the ones in your quandary, but an MBP and MBA nonetheless.

The question is rather one of weight. If you'd prefer to carry 5 pounds versus 3, or if the extra weight doesn't bother you, the MBP is probably a good pick.

As a student, I learned to prize portability. That's what I love about the MBA ... full-featured, with very few limitations, but extraordinarily freedom-inducing.

On the other hand, I know some guys who genuinely enjoy heavy book bags and backpacks. If that's you, then the MBP will probably suit your purpose, and you've effectively future-proofed it for sometime to come.

7. asting macrumors 6502

$2700 is a lot for a non quad core full size 13"...

8. LYFK macrumors regular

@OP I went from a 15" 2007 MBP to the 13" MBA and definitely am enjoying it. Although I haven't really had the chance to push the machine, it doesn't sound like you're going to either.

I would take the MBA over the 13" MBP hands down. It's more portable, has a higher screen res, and you already said you don't need the optical drive.

Unless for some reason you need the 2.9 or the extra ports, it doesn't sound like this should be a difficult decision. You could bump the MBA to 2.0GHz and call it a day.

9. stchman macrumors 6502a

To the OP:

The MBA Ultimate i7/8GB/512GB is $2200. Me personally I would not opt for the AppleCare as Apple does not cover drops and spills.

If you're going to go MBP, go rMBP. You can get a rMBP with i7 2.6/16GB/512GB for $3000.

The MBA is a better value IMO.

10. Liquinn Suspended

Who would buy a MBA Ultimate over a retina MBP? :eek:

11. stchman macrumors 6502a

To save $800. Is the retina display and two extra cores worth $800?

12. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

... and to save about a pound and a half in weight!

13. manunited macrumors member

If you're willing to spend that much, I would highly recommend the Retina MacBook Pro.

14. LeeM macrumors 6502a

15. KPOM macrumors G5

With a 512GB SSD, the Retina MacBook Pro is $2,699+$349 for AppleCare for a total of $3,048. That's a $700 premium over the MacBook Air with AppleCare.

16. stchman macrumors 6502a

The 512GB SSD for the MBP is $1000.

Not to mention if you buy an after market SSD, you get to keep the 500GB HDD.

Also you can get 16GB of RAM from Newegg for $90.

17. LeeM macrumors 6502a

$900 on the i7 13" as thats got a 750gb to start with

18. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Personally if size and weight isn't an issue, then the Pro will walk all over the MBA there (You WILL notice a huge difference), don't forget the graphics performance is way better, and you have the ability to upgrade the RAM, the SSD and potentially the CPU too, whereas the only thing you'll even be able to upgrade on the MBA is the flash memory.

If weight was more of an issue and you'd sacrifice that over performance, then the MBA is great, it's why I have one but then I have the iMac for the heavy lifting stuff and why I need a bit more performance etc.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

That's true of the 15" Pro, but the 13" Pro has the same HD 4000 GPU as the Air. Granted, it has a higher base speed, but a similar Turbo Boost speed.

20. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Good pick up, bit of an error there on my part.

I'd still be going Pro though if it was my only machine, if it was just a portable and I had something else at home, i'd grab the MBA.

21. ThomasNuffan thread starter macrumors newbie

ThomasNuffan

wow thanks for some good responses!

as others have stated, the reason why I'd be leaning towards a MBA is to save on weight -- this is for school so they'll also be books in the backpack -- and to upgrade a MBP or a Retina to where I'd want it is close to another $1000. Too rich for a student's blood.

I may have could have stretched for the MBP as spec'd but $2.6k is a bit scary...

22. Born2bwild macrumors newbie

Born2bwild

You do know you could get the MBP retina (base model w/ 512g SSD) for $2699. Since you're a student, you could get $200 off, and then Applecare would cost $350, I believe. So that's $2849. A much better deal than the MBP for 2.6k. If you can't or don't want to pay that much for the rMBP, then go for the MBA.

But the rMBP is excellent; it has an additional discrete GPU (much better gaming performance), in addition to the best screen. Plus it's pretty light, especially for its size.

23. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

Me. You can see from my sig that I had the mid level Retina and sold it for a 13" MBA Ultimate. The Retina is an amazing machine, but lack of Retina ready apps mean that it's not ready for prime time yet. Next year will be the year that the Retina MBP really shines, and i'll probably end of up getting one again then. But for the OP's uses and mine, the 13" Air is plenty.

24. hrl macrumors member

Personally, I don't think I would ever get anything thicker and heavier than the Air. That includes the rMBP. Unless you are doing heavy production works, there is no need of having a powerful computer.

25. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

You said it there - it still amazes me with the lack of retina support on the iPad so with the MacBook not having full app support is a big turn off for me.