Can't decide what to do about my computer situation...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by basskiddanny, Jun 17, 2007.

1. basskiddanny macrumors newbie

I currently use my laptop as my main computer, as the desktop in my sig sucks:

AMD Turion 64 ML-34 @ 1.8Ghz
    512mb PC-2700 SODIMM
    80GB Hard Drive
    DVD RAM/DVD DL burner Drive
    15.4" Widescreen

I can not decide between my few options:

A) Just keep the laptop as my main computer but add an extra 1GB of RAM to make 1.5GB (Currently has 1 x 512 fitted) and chuck out the old desktop

B) Keep the laptop and upgrade the RAM to 1.5GB and use this computer when I am travelling on the weekends (Usually when I drive up to visit my girlfriend), then for Home built a new PC NOT designed to run games, so fast CPU, plenty of RAM and a Graphics card good enough for Windows Vista.

C) Sell the laptop, chuck out the old desktop in sig and buy a 2.0 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80gb HDD white Macbook. Just use this and dual boot Windows XP and OS X (I need windows for programming in Java and C# as thats what my code runs on). The advantages are it is easily more portable due to 13.3" screen and I have a 17" TFT to hook it up to when at Home.

I have an external 400GB HDD so storage in any of the above scenarios is no problem. Just can't decide what is in my best interests. The Macbook would cost £600 with Higher Education discount but a PC could probably be built for a little over half of that which would meet my needs (No games). I think a decent PC for non-gaming is achieveable with £400 easily, which is £200 less than the Macbook and I have both a desktop and a laptop to use.

Depends if it is worth having 2 systems atall, and if its not it also depends on whether its worth getting rid of my laptop which is less than a year old just to get another portable computer in the form of a macbook. I yearn for some sort of Dual core processing power in a machine that I own though lol! I hear they can be blisteringly fast.

At first I was going to do this:

- Keep the laptop and upgrade RAM to 1.5GB
    - Buy the 1.66 Mac Mini and use this at home as I would love something so small and quiet

Then I realised the Mini is only core Duo and not core 2 duo. I am not sure how much of a difference this makes. Then the other thing was the fact they are supposed to be difficult to upgrade the RAM. Also I read a comment on another site that the Mac Mini 1.66 is sluggish even in OS X?

They will discontinue the Mac Mini soon enough which means I won't be able to buy one new ever. It seemed like the best option at first as I really would like something small and quiet and to be able to try out OS X.
    ---
    Xbox Live GT: Dan Harris | PSN: DanHarris | Wii: Ask me
    |INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0Ghz w/ HT|1024MB PC3200|Nvidia 6600GT OC AGP|MAXTOR 160GB|

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

upgrading the ram in a mini is simple, but theres only one slot, so if you want lots of RAM, its gonna cost! Personally Id go with a mac somewhere in your lineup. Now that intel macs can run windows, you havent got the same restrictions you used to have.

I want to ask, what do you do with your laptop when you take it out?? Is it just email/web or do you like to code on your weekends too?

If its only a web machine, theres no real need to upgrade it too much, and I would concentrate on your desktop, as thats where you do most work. But if you work on the go as well as at home, concentrate on the laptop, becuase a laptops gonna need more power if you want it to do work on the go.

But thats just my 2c

3. basskiddanny thread starter macrumors newbie

The core Duo versions of the Mini now have 2 Ram slots :) but they come with 2x256mb sticks in them.

I do some web design on the go and also do coding if it is for University. I do this on the weekends when visiting my girlfriend who goes to Uni elsewhere in the UK to me. Have to do it on the weekends due to working in a demanding full time job, but great for my CV with the kind of stuff I do.

The Mac mini is really tempting to have as a home desktop PC as it is nice and quiet and runs cool. I am really leaning towards macs after having been a pc only user forever (I am 20 now). If I am honest, the spec of my laptop is fast enough for any work I need to do, would be good with atleast 512mb more RAM though as it can slow down when doing a lot of things at once.

The fact the Macbook I would get is £600 means i'd be spending that money just because I WANT a Mac and not because I NEED a Mac. The Mini looked like a good introduction to the world of Macs but the 1.86Ghz version is a bit too pricey in terms of performance you would get from it.

i've heard mixed reviews about the Mini and wish Apple would keep them so I could buy one when the next revision came out. For the price of a Mac mini I could build my own PC of better spec but it would never be as small and cool running and could never (legally or efficiently) run OS X. So both have their advantages and disadvantages. £600 is a lot to spend because you want something, not so much when you need it. If my laptop were older or if I had never bought it in September last year then I would NEED an upgrade to something quicker.

Are the 1.66Ghz Mac Mini's really poor performers for general desktop stuff?

And for the mac books do the top of them scratch easily? Because they look gorgeous and would be a shame if they did.

4. basskiddanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it even worth re-considering the Mini? As I have ptetty much dismissed it as a choice...It seems perfect for those who just use their home PC to email though, but I will be doing web design and graphics in photoshop...

I have a tendancy to spend money when I dont NEED to just because I WANT to spend.