Can't decide what to do.... Adobe Master Collection, or FCS 2 and Design Premium?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BiikeMike, May 16, 2007.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I'm mostly a photographer, so I definately need the Adobe stuff, but as for Video, I'm not quite sure. I've been using FCP 5 and Adobe Premier on my XP box. I like Final Cut more, but.... that's probably just because its on a Mac :)

With the Master collection, I get all that other fun stuff as well. I am not a HUGE video editor, but I do a bit. I also use Soundtrack Pro to run MIDI time code into a lighting board, but I figure the Adobe app will do that as well.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Final Cut is miles ahead of Adobe's video **** except for After Effects. So the only problem with the FCS2 & CS3DP is that you don't get After Effects. If you don't need After Effects, then FCS2 & CS3DP is probably the way to go. If you do, then I'm not sure.

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

My vote is for FCP and the CS3 Design bundle. Something to consider, Adobe will only give you one license for the CS3 bundle, so you can't split it between your PC and Mac (not sure if you were considering that). I find FCP to be much more intuitive then Premiere, I never really like Premiere when it was on the Mac. After Effects on the other hand is really good BUT most likely you will be able to do most any video effect in Motion, the new version has features that are only available in the Pro version of After Effects. ALSO.. and I have not used CS3 yet but FCP, Motion etc.. have a lot of real time effects where After Effects and most likely Premiere still requires a lot of rendering and RAM previews. Oh! and DVD Studio, I feel that DVD Studio is the best DVD authoring app out there.. but that is just my opinion.

Good luck with your decision making!

4. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I'm kind of thinking thats the way I want to go as well, but....I would save money if I just got the Master Collection, plus I'd get Flash, etc.

I do like FCP, but I've never really gotten the hang of DVD studio.

I guess I'll have to do the Design Premium and FCS thing.....:)

5. zim macrumors 65816

zim

The Design Premium comes with Flash.

Design Premium includes:
    Adobe InDesign® CS3, Photoshop® CS3 Extended, Illustrator® CS3, Flash® CS3 Professional, Dreamweaver® CS3, Acrobat® 8 Professional, Bridge CS3, Version Cue® CS3, and Device Central CS3

6. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

oh yeah, duh! I actually knew that, but yesterday was a 16 hour day, so I wasn't thinking straight :)

7. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

If cash flow is an issue and when is it not. Go with the master collection and get an all in one solution that flows together well. I really like FCP but have never really used Premiere. DVD Studio Pro cannot be beaten. It is hands down the greatest app for what it does. I love working with it. After Effects is nice but I like Motion as well. So it comes down to work flow and what you can afford. I went with FC Studio for UB capability and Design Premium for the Adobe side. I did this cause it was the cheapest way to go for what I wanted. When I did the upgrade to FC Studio there was no Adobe news but it would not changed my choice. For me Motion/DVD SP would make the decision for me.

8. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I plan on Upgrading Both

I Use all the programs in different situations & I always find one program that can do something another one can't. It also offers professionals a larger compatibility with customers & clients. I often use DVD studio, & Soundtrack Rocks, But I do web via Illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks, Dreamweaver.
    In Print I Use Indesign over Quark, & of course Acrobat & Distiller.
    I'll use em all, & I'll make the most of them.
    I'd like some time in AfterEffects, I never get to spend any time in it.
    Any Good AfterEffects Tutorials?

9. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Ultimately having them all is the best way to go.. I know a few studios that have AfterEffects Pro, Motion and Combustion and depending on the artist/project depends on which one they will use. Personally I just prefer to stick with the Adobe suite for Design, print and web and FCP studio for time based.. although I do use AE also.

As for tutorials in AE, do a search on iTunes for podcasts, there are few good ones on there that do stuff in AE. Creative Cow (http://cowcast.creativecow.net/after_effects/index.html) is another one.

10. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I guess I'll have to sit down with the DVD studio manual, the stuff I have made looks TERRIBLE!

I will probably get FCS, I just wanted to see what some of you thought.....