iPod touch Can't decide which iTouch to get...please help me

shel31580

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Please give me some useful advice as I feel like I didn't get much of knowledge from Best Buy yesterday regarding iTouch as I'm thinking about upgrading mine. I currently have the 8gb 1st generation, and definitely want to upgrade so I can finally have speakers on it especially for Youtube and movies from my digital camera. I'm hearing that 8gb 3rd generation processor and wifi speed isn't faster than what 32gb has. Is that true? I was going to get the 8gb, only because I'm interested for the media part, not putting music on it as I already have plenty on the Nano. I use the
1st generation a lot for safari, youtube (despite no speakers), putting my pictures on it, and use a lot of applications. I probably should go for the 32gb even if I'm not going to use the touch to listen to music? Also, should I REALLY wait till the 4th generation comes out, even though Apple isn't saying if they will finally come out with a camera this time around for next year. Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appericated, and thanks.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The "3rd gen" 8GB is basically the same as the 2nd gen models. The real 3rd gen models (32 and 64GB) have a faster processor (2x as fast, according to Apple), and nearly three times more usable RAM system memory. I also thought that the screen and sound are slightly better on the real 3rd gen models. Plus, if your primary use for the touch is going to be watching videos on it, 8GB is going to be rather frustrating -- that will hold only around 15-20 hours of video, at best. So if you can afford it, get the 32GB. As for waiting until the new one comes out, if you keep doing that, you'll forever be waiting for the next better one that is coming out. Even if rumors of a spring update turns out to be true, that's still a few months away. And if it turns out there is no spring update, you'll have waited for nothing. IMO, now is the best time to get it for maximum lifespan.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
The 64GB iTouch is the best value imo, there are rumours of an updated iTouch at some point with a video only camera (news section of MR), you may or may not want to wait to see if it's true or not.

GoJonny78

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
Clearing things up

The "3rd gen" 8GB is basically the same as the 2nd gen models. The real 3rd gen models (32 and 64GB) have a faster processor (2x as fast, according to Apple), and nearly three times more usable RAM system memory. I also thought that the screen and sound are slightly better on the real 3rd gen models. Plus, if your primary use for the touch is going to be watching videos on it, 8GB is going to be rather frustrating -- that will hold only around 15-20 hours of video, at best. So if you can afford it, get the 32GB. As for waiting until the new one comes out, if you keep doing that, you'll forever be waiting for the next better one that is coming out. Even if rumors of a spring update turns out to be true, that's still a few months away. And if it turns out there is no spring update, you'll have waited for nothing. IMO, now is the best time to get it for maximum lifespan.
I agree with all of this except that there is no currently sold ipod touch "3rd generation" yet. Even though a lot of websites refer to this ipod touch as the 3rd generation (or 3g, 3rd gen.) it is referred to apple as the "late 2009 model." if any doesn't believe me, find ANY where on apples website where they say "ipod touch 3rd generation." I can totally understand why people call it the 3rd gen for easier reference but i just said this to clear everything up. :D

shel31580

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Thanks for the advice so far as I'm still torn what to do. Actually, I'm not planning on getting the 8gb. I'm now debating on if I should get a 32gb right now or wait for the new iTouch to come out perhaps next September, hoping it has either a picture or video camera. I just don't know what to do as I was very impressed with the 32gb at Best Buy earlier tonight which I ALMOST bought. Something is telling me that Apple will hit the jackpot this upcoming year. Buy now or do I wait?!? uggh...:)

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
If the new model was only a month or two away, I'd recommend waiting. But 9+ months is a long time.

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
lol A weird question here, but... does anyone else get irked when they call it that (I won't even type the word, but it's the primary word in the subject line lol)? It's an iPod Touch and not the other. ;):p:D

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
Camera is rumored on the iTouch sometime Q1 2010. But thats a rumor. If you need one right now, get a 32GB or 64GB. They have the better processors, so they'll run a bit faster then the 8GB model.

yawnyj

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Gig Harbor , Wa
lol A weird question here, but... does anyone else get irked when they call it that (I won't even type the word, but it's the primary word in the subject line lol)? It's an iPod Touch and not the other. ;):p:D
Life is just too short to get irked over something so trivial, don't you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.