Can't decide which to buy, need some opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jermza, Jun 19, 2012.

1. jermza macrumors newbie

jermza

I'm becoming a Mac user, soon. Buying my first one.

I am a digital artist, so I spend all day with a Wacom and Photoshop and do some basic video editing. I currently have a 27" Dell UltraSharp 2500x1500 resolution.

Some friends are telling me to buy a 27" iMac and some are telling me to buy a Macbook Pro (and plug it into the Dell).

The advantage to the iMac is that I will end up with two 27" screens (the Dell plugged into the Mac), which is great. My desk, where I spend most of my time, will be neat and tidy.

The advantage of the Macbook Pro (Retina, I presume) is that, during the day, it can be plugged into the Dell, and be mobile all other times. However, I might need an external keyboard and mouse (because it's easier than the laptop).

I don't quite know the technical spec differences between the two (assuming I buy the 2012 i7 iMac, or the Retina Macbook Pro).

What would you do? Which direction would you go with this decision? I guess there is no right answer, but I'd like some opinions.

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

I'm in the exact same position. I do photoshop and Lightroom mostly.

My current 2008 MBP sits on my desk most of the time, and this made me want an iMac27 for the longest time. But the new MBPr might change things, being lighter, thinner and most likely powerful enough.

The question now becomes: Will I take it on the road enough to justify the extra cost for lesser performance, albeit subtle.

3. markp99 macrumors member

You should consider the implications of limited SSD resources in your LR/PS workflow. If you shoot lots of large RAW images, then 256/512 GB really can put a cramp in your style.

My only regret buying my rMBP is that I now need to consider file location on an on-going basis, where previously I would only occasionally archive to an external NAS. Maybe a large thunderbolt drive array would make better sense for performance moving forward, but they are very pricey, and I have already made an investment in my NAS array.

SSD space aside, the rMBP is quite a nice machine. I got the 16MB option - very large RAW files are handled very nicely. I usually display out to 2 x 24in monitors, but the retina display works very well for this task when I am away from my office.

Good luck!

4. kaydot macrumors regular

I would solve for the 80% case. If you spend most of your time at the desk, then the iMac is a wonderful working experience. It is incredibly fast, has enormous storage potential, and great desktop space. It is also beautiful to work at and gives a workstation feel (short of a Mac Pro).

Ergonomically, Laptops are at the wrong height for long working sessions. I slouch daily because of the height of my laptop at work. I also have an external monitor hooked up to it that is 5 inches higher, and is the correct height for working.

Lastly, there is also the debate that the "jury is still out" on whether the Retina screen is acceptable for media professionals due to it's scaling and non-native resolution.

5. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Photography is the one place where more resolving capability is Always welcome. The contention is happening mostly in web/graphic design at the moment.

Depending on how heavy your jobs are, 768GB is sufficient if you have a good workflow and archive LR catalogs per job. I'm assuming 12MP RAW though. If you work with the D800 for example (36MP RAW), this equation may not work.

I don't know yet what 80% of my routine will be like. Currently I spend 90% of my time on my desk, but this may change. And with a better laptop, I may be more inclined to carry it with me. Currently the MBP sits at home often because it's tied down to 3 external drives (160GB internal). With a 768GB SSD, I can do a LOT more work off the desk.