Can't decide which to get......

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by queenmmdt, Nov 27, 2009.

1. queenmmdt macrumors newbie

I want to upgrade from an iBook G4 to something more powerful. So I have decided to get a desktop mac, but I don't know which to get. Right now it looks like I'm stuck between a Powermac G5 DP, and a first generation Intel iMac. (the most i can afford) So, which one would be the better choice??? HELP!!

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The iMac is the more capable machine because it will run snow Leopard and other future OS X versions. If you want the versatility of a tower you need to look at least at a 2,0 GHz 2006 MP. If the money isn't there go for the Intel iMac.

3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

go for the intel mac, theres no support for PPC anymore, and parts can be seriously expensive if they go wrong, like gugucom said, the intel cpu has obvious advantages over the older PPC ;)

4. zeigerpuppy macrumors member

i'm not so sure

what are you using the computer for?

I have a 2006 PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz.
    This computer is still quite fast, especially when you put more ram into it.
    I haven't checked the specs but I think it would beat most early iMacs.

I don't think it's worth much anymore, so I would suggest it as the better choice for the reason that it is easy to upgrade hard disk space, RAM etc.
    Also, it is possible to give it quite a boost with a new graphics card.

However, all depends what you are using, if new versions of software matter to you, I would agree that an intel machine would be better but if you are happy with Leopard and current apps, then the G5 is probably the better choice.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I read the iMac in question is an early model, which I'd translate as a 2006 model. So presumably, it's EFI32 based. :(

It would work, and certainly be better than a PPC system :), but the OS X upgradability is going to be short lived at best, as K64 only versions won't work. It seems like 10.7 may be the first true K64 only version of OS X, so SL could end up being the latest (and last) version of OS X that will run on it.

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Isn't that a bit speculative? Apple could also issue 10.7 and 10.8 with both kernels, can't they?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

It is to some extent, but:
    1. Apple doesn't like to support interim products.
    2. IIRC, there's an article or two indicating that 10.7 is the likely version to go full K64. Granted, I'm not taking these at face value, as it's not based on a formal announcement, but it does make sense.

But I also worded it that I think 10.7 is likely, not certain. But ultimately, it will happen, and sooner than later, given Apple's history.