Can't delete a file from the desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theNEOone, Jan 20, 2009.

1. theNEOone macrumors 6502

There's a file on my desktop that was being copied from an external SD card but was interrupted. Now I cannot delete the freaking thing....what's going on? I've tried rebooting and then deleting, but that didn't work.

I get an error message that says "Some of the items you are moving are in use by another application. Moving the items can cause problems with the application using them. Are you sure you want to move these items?"

Clicking "Continue" doesn't actually delete the file....dragging and dropping the file into the trash also does nothing.

Help?

=|

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Have you tried to close your session ?
    Restart the mac ?
    Delete it from the terminal ?

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Open a Terminal window. Type "rm " (i.e. rm followed by a space and without the quotes), then drag the file from the desktop onto the terminal window. Press return in the terminal window and the file should disappear. If it doesn't then try "rm -f " instead. If the file is a package or a folder then use "rm -rf " instead.

5. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Please be very careful with the rm -rf command. You can end up having a very bad day with that command.

-f is force
    -r is recursive, that means you have the possibility of easing everything in that directory

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I totally agree, that's why I always advocate dragging the file/folder you want to delete on to the Terminal window. That way you should avoid any typos in the pathname to the file.