can't delete a folder!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jng, Aug 17, 2007.

1. jng macrumors 65816

jng

So about 2 weeks back, I helped a friend change her pbook HD and we used carbon copy to clone her drive onto her new one. It froze during the first attempt and apparently that's why my hard drive is now full! There's a 20GB folder in my "Volumes" folder, that's the frozen clone. But I can't delete it!

I can see it in transmit, which shows hidden files but not the finder.

I've tried this:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106272

But it just says "no such file or directory"

2. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

I would recommend using the terminal for this one. You first need to find the of this folder starting at the root level. (/)

First, open up terminal and type:
    cd *insert path to the file here* (if it's in the trash, it would be /users/your_name/.Trash

Next, type this
    sudo rmdir *folder name* -R

The sudo logs you in as this super user, so it should work. If it doesn't work, let me know. (I unfortunately can't test this because I am not on my mac right now.)

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I had a "similar" problem with some folders in Finder not looking, behaving, acting correctly and not letting me delete them. Like the above post suggest, go in through Terminal and take care of business.

4. jng thread starter macrumors 65816

jng

I ended up doing that and it removed about 99% of it. instead of 20GB it's now like 500MB left, which for some reason I can't delete stil. I had to still use the apple permissions command on that help page before I could sudo rmdir.

I guess the rest will just have to wait until I get leopard and reinstall the OS in october.