Can't delete a nickname on chat program - going crazy!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CamMan1971, Nov 17, 2007.

1. CamMan1971 macrumors newbie

This place always seems to have really smart people posting, so I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem.

I'm having some difficulty with a program called CamFrog that's been downloaded on my house computer. It's a webcam chat application, and there's more than one person in this house that uses it. Well don't laugh, but I decided to use it myself and went to....an adult chat room. Nothing wrong with that, but I used a rather embarrassing nickname -- assuming I could delete it at any time.

Well...I can't. And I really don't want my other housemates to come across it.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to delete the nick from the pull-down menu that appears when the program is opened and a sign-on window appears. According to a REALLY old post on CamFrog's forums, all you need to do is select the name from the pull-down menu and control/delete. But this doesn't work, at least not anymore. I've tried a gazillion times in a gazillion different ways, and nothing removes the name. I've tried trashing the program and reinstalling it, and the same names still appear. I've removed every file related to the program, emptied cookies and caches wherever I can, and STILL nothing works.

Does anyone know if there's a place on my computer where the nickname info is being stored? I can't seem to figure it out, or why trashing/re-installing won't work.

It's driving me crazy! I'm less concerned about people stumbling upon the embarrassing nickname now, and more determined to just figuring out why the name won't delete, no matter what I do. ANY help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, as I think I'm slowly losing my sanity...

2. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

All I can think is preferences folder. Try to remove it from your library.

3. CamMan1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Remove it, or trash it?
    What about all the other files in there? Would that screw up some other programs on the computer? I really don't know how important the preferences folder is...

4. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

No No sorry I wasnt precise enough. Find in your Library Preference folder and in that folder look for folder/files containing name of your program. Move it to trash, empty the trash and check if it worked

5. CamMan1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked, and there's nothing in the preferences folder related to this program.
    :-(

6. CamMan1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Messier77 macrumors newbie

I'm assuming you are just deleting the program out of your application folder, which my not be enough.
    Try trashing it using AppZapper or a similar program (which should remove most if not all traces of it from your computer) and then reinstalling.
    It's a long shot but it might work.
    Best of luck

8. CamMan1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh thank GOD - that worked!

I had to buy AppZapper (since my trial had run out a while back), but that's fine. Veeeerrrrry handy tool to have anyway. :D

Thanks!

9. opticbit macrumors newbie

opticbit

Delete the cam frog Pref file

If each person who used the computer had a seperate login name on the machine this would solve many problems.

I ran into a problem with cam frog crashing ad spotlight was unable to locate anything named camfrog, so I did googled camfrog crash and a few other things instead of searching through my Library manually cause it has thousands of files. Found this forum. I ended up doing a manual search. This is the file that can cause problems and might need to be deleted. although the app delete has already worked for the poster of this thread here it is.

UserHome/Library/Preferences/com.Camshare.CamfrogClient.plist