Can't delete a volume

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ClimbingNurse, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ClimbingNurse macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a foolish question, but I've been beating my head into this for a couple days now.

Last time I tried making a backup, I got an error message that the volume was removed before ejecting. I actually still had it connected, so I'm not sure how that happened. At any rate, the volume still appears to be there and is taking up space on my HD. (Despite actually removing the disk and the volume not showing up on my desktop, in finder, or anywhere other than Whatsize.)

I've tried repairing permissions, verifying and repairing the disk. I've even done this from a startup disc boot. All to no avail.

I have attached the screen capture of what Whatsize shows to be the problem. When I try to delete the volume from Whatsize, it just says that item cannot be moved to the trash. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

What's the name of the volume? There's nothing immediately odd about the screenshot you posted...

3. Damo01 macrumors regular

I might just warn you but whatever you are doing, are trying to delete the contents of your Mac OS X startup disk?

4. ClimbingNurse thread starter macrumors newbie

The volume "keith's iMac on big disk" is an image from a backup disk that has been ejected. But the image/volume is still occupying space (117 gb) on my startup disk.

5. ClimbingNurse thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, all it took was an hour on the phone with Apple support. In case anyone else has this problem, here's what you do:

Open finder and click on the Go menu and then Go to Folder and put in /Volumes. Then you can delete the volume directly. Tried a lot of other things first, put this fixed it quick and easy.

Cheers,
    Keith