Can't delete a windows system folder off my Mac-connected External HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sphoenix77, Mar 1, 2010.

1. sphoenix77 macrumors member

So I have an external HDD formatted in NTFS that I used for all my DVD backups items connected to my Mac (running Mac OS X 10.5.8). In any event, I was re-installing windows on my Laptop (which is a PC) and put the old copy of windows on the external drive. Well, I don't need it anymore and was trying to delete it but it won't delete. I have tried everything short of initializing the drive which I want to avoid so I dont lose all my DVD backups. It's in the trash but it just won't empty. I really do need some advice on this one. Any ideas?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im afraid that macs dont come with "write" permissions for NTFS disks. you will have to put the ext drive into a windows based computer or installed NTFS-3G ( i think its called) to delete the files.

3. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

What is NTFS-3G? Is that a mac program or something?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup its a mac program that basically installs drivers that enables write access to NTFS drives :)

5. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

Nice program ... but whenever I try to empty the trash it still just crashes the whole computer. :confused:

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seriously? argh im sorry about that :( normally it works perfectly! what OS version are you running?

7. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

Mac OS X 10.5.8. Just the weirdest thing. I can not delete this old copy of the windows system folder off my computer...

8. DualShock macrumors 6502

You can try to post in the Tuxera forums, or leave a comment at http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/, about your problem.

Erik Larssen, who is (I believe) the lead (only?) developer for the Mac implementation of NTFS-3G, is usually very good at answering questions regarding NTFS-3G.