Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noble1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Hello im new here, so i have a ibook running jaguar, so i dont have the admin pass since its not mine and the onwer of the ibook doesn't remember it, so i try this code:
1. Hold Command+S down after you hear the chime.
2. When you get text prompt, enter these commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

but when i put the code rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone, it displays that the .AppleSetupDone: no such file or directory, so i dont know if the code is
diferent, im a noobie on macs so i would like if someone could help, thanks :)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hello im new here, so i have a ibook running jaguar, so i dont have the admin pass since its not mine and the onwer of the ibook doesn't remember it, so i try this code:
1. Hold Command+S down after you hear the chime.
2. When you get text prompt, enter these commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

but when i put the code rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone, it displays that the .AppleSetupDone: no such file or directory, so i dont know if the code is
diferent, im a noobie on macs so i would like if someone could help, thanks :)

You need a Jaguar, Panther or Tiger or even Leopard disc to change the password. What model is it? I might have the original iBook gray discs somewhere.

noble1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
its a apple ibook g3 128 mb ram/ 10gb hard drive/ 500 mz processor, i accedently erase the admin account, and i cant create a new it turns on, and it gets freeze after the welcome screen music its finished

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.