Can't Delete .avi file

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kathryne_B, Nov 7, 2008.

1. kathryne_B macrumors regular

kathryne_B

I can't delete an .avi file from my trashcan. Every time I insert a card into the cardreader that I use for viewing .avi files, the file reappears. When I remove the cardreader then the trashcan gets empty. If I insert the card back into the cardreader, then the trashcan shows up full again. I've tried everything suggested on another thread "Can't Delete Files in Trash!!!" I've even tried iShred Express, but the stubborn file just showed up in the trash again, only this time it was renamed! The file that appears in the trashcan is: s|yStus.avi and it's in a folder titled DCI. Is there a trick to wiping out that file? I'm really baffled here. I'd really be grateful to anyone that could help.:confused: TIA!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do you empty the Trash can from its pop-up menu? If so, then you should try pressing the [option] key when doing so.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Do you actually empty the trash when your thingy is plugged in?

4. kathryne_B thread starter macrumors regular

kathryne_B

Yes, I do and I've tried a zillion times, but I can't get rid of the bloody file!

BTW: love your signature quote and oh sooo true! :apple:

5. kathryne_B thread starter macrumors regular

kathryne_B

Of course! Since it's the only time, the file I can't get rid of shows up.

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Open the Trash in a Finder window. Next open a Terminal window.

In the Terminal window, type "rm " (without the quotes - i.e. rm followed by a space). Now drag the file you want to delete from the Finder window to the Terminal window. This should append the file path to the rm command. Press return in the Terminal window and the file should disappear from the Trash.

7. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

if the previous post doesn't work you should just back up the files you want from the drive and format it.

8. sookainian macrumors regular

Hi guys, i'm also having the same problem as this guy.

I manage to remove all the files in this main folder called, Wage Calculator, using "rm "

But now i left with the main folder "Wage Calculator", i cant remove it using "rm "

Terminal say " rm: /private/tmp/1033/C/.Trashes/501/Wage Calculator: is a directory "

So now how do i remove a directory ??

Many thanks,
    Kenny

Attached Files:

9. sookainian macrumors regular

Yes !!

I manage to delete the main folder.

I open Terminal and type "rm -rf /path/to/foldername"

and everything is gone now !! i'm so happy :]

kathryne_B, If you're still having problems, u can try using "rm -rf /path/to/foldername"

Hope it helps !! :)

Cheers,
    Kenny

10. blodwyn macrumors 65816

The command is "rm -rf path-to-directory" without the quotes

Be careful

Edit: Oops, you already found it

11. kathryne_B thread starter macrumors regular

kathryne_B

No, the previous didn't work, but I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean by "format it?" You mean like reformat the whole drive/Hard disk using the CD? If this is what you mean, this seems a little drastic for one tenacious file and it would take me forever, since I have like a zillion files on my computer. That would seem like more trouble than it's worth. Thanx anyway. :(

12. kathryne_B thread starter macrumors regular

kathryne_B

Hi.....What Finder Window? The file is in the trash. I dragged from the trash to the terminal window using "rm," then return, but it did nothing.

Thank you to all, but I've tried all the suggestions given and typed "rm" to the Terminal, dragging, return and the file is still remains. All it does when I drag it to the window and empty the trash is blink!

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Unless one is logged in as "root," then simply typing "rm" should not be expected to always work. To force "rm" to remove a file, type the command "sudo rm" instead of just "rm." You will be asked for an administrative password.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Be VERY careful with this command. As you've discovered, it removes everything, and an unchecked typo can really mess your filesystem up.

A safer command in your case would have been:

Code:
    rmdir /path/to/foldername
    This specifically removes folders and directories (after they've been emptied).

You've even tried formatting the card?

15. kathryne_B thread starter macrumors regular

kathryne_B

No, I have not. I'll have to read the instructions on how to reformat the card. Thanx for the suggestion. And as for your comment on the "rm" command removing everything, I haven't discovered anything, since it hasn't removed a thing yet. The file is still in the trash and still staring me on the face. :mad:

But one more question: Do I just type "rmdir"? Or the whole thing, including slashes?

16. kathryne_B thread starter macrumors regular

kathryne_B

Re:Can't Delete. avi file

Reformatting the card was just the ticket needed!! It worked like a charm! No more having to look at that file in my trashcan! :D Thanx for the suggestion!!! [End of story]

17. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

btw, to remove a directory via terminal i use

rm -R *path to folder*

The "-R" makes it work with folders.

18. juanbarba macrumors newbie

juanbarba

Erase problem

Check permisions or Folder lock, with the inspector cmd+i over the file
    or try in shell

sudo chmod 777 -R ~/Music/

19. kathryne_B thread starter macrumors regular

kathryne_B

Thank You All!

...For your suggestions and feedback! No need to keep posting since ScaredPoet's question about reformatting the card took care of the problem. I reformatted the card and the trashcan is once again empty!! I'm happy again. . . WaahHoo! :D