Resolved Can't delete Bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by will0407, May 28, 2014.

1. will0407, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

will0407 macrumors 6502a

I got a retina 13" from ebay, arrived today. The seller hadn't wiped it, and also had a bootcamp partition installed. I don't have their password so I booted into the recovery partition, opened disk utility and tried to delete the Windows partition from there. I left it ages and it just said removing etc etc, so I quit disk utility, restarted and then went into disk utility again, selected the ssd to wipe it, but it keeps failing and saying can't unmount the disk. I subsequently got the seller's password but the bootcamp utility is no use as it's not picking up the partition.

Now, it is currently instaling a fresh copy os OS X, but the ssd capactiy shows as 210GB rather than 250GB as the 40GB windows partition is still there somehow, even though it doesn't show in disk utility.

Are there any apps, or is there a way to remove the bootcamp partition?!! There must be, but I don't know how. It's not even showing in disk utility, but it must be there as there is 40GB missing from the Macintosh HD?!

2. michelg1970 macrumors regular

michelg1970

Hi!

I think when u start up in Recovery Mode and open Disk Utility u have to re-partition the SSD on highest level - even if it is not showing the Windows partition.

So, select SSD, then select erase, then re-partition.

3. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    sorted it, i booted from internet recovery rather than via the recovery partition, erased the ssd first time, no problems

4. michelg1970 macrumors regular

michelg1970