Can't delete emails in Mail!

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Why is it that I can't delete emails in Mail? I'd delete an email on an account and it will go away but when I click on another account and click back to the old account, the "deleted" mail will reappear.

Nick12QB

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2007

if you are using the IMAP protocol it may be because Mail hasnt yet connected to the server to synchronize the messages you deleted, so it returned the message back to the inbox until it does connect.

Comment

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
if you are using the IMAP protocol it may be because Mail hasnt yet connected to the server to synchronize the messages you deleted, so it returned the message back to the inbox until it does connect.
Yes my accounts are IMAP. But I closed Mail and launched it again hoping that when it launches, it will connect to the server again synchronize the deleted messages but the "deleted" messages keep on returning.

Comment

Nick12QB

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2007
yes this is because if the application closes without connecting to the server to delete the messages Mail will undelete them. what you need to do is make sure your connection to your mail server works, and if it does, just wait until it makes it way through. if its always slow like this, it may make more sense to use POP.

Comment

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Ok it works when I right click on the account and select erase deleted message. I just find it a little weird because I don't think I've ever needed to do this for Thunderbird. (I've recently switched back for Mail 3.0) So is there anyway I could retrieve those deleted messages again if I needed to? ;)

Comment

hdeutsch

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
Mail that wont delete

I don't know if this will solve your problem but once in awhile I get a stubborn email that just won't delete. I highlight the email then I go up to edit and click on "cut" and that gets rid of it.:mad::mad:

Comment