Can't delete files from leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mycomputerhates, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mycomputerhates macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a G5 that I just updated to Leopard from 10.3.9

After updating to Leopard, everything seemed fine, but my eject button on my keyboard will not function and I cannot seem to delete ANY files from my computer. Right clicking and selecting move to trash accomplishes nothing.

When I try to drag a file to the trash, it does nothing. When I try for a second time, a window appears saying perparing move to "Trash" with a timebar, but nothing ever happens beyond that. It just sits there and the item won't move to the trash.

It won't even let me close the window. Eventually I have to restart finder just to close the "preparing" window, but the file still remains.

This is very frustrating. Anyone have an ideas or suggestions about what to do now?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. lostinspace2011 macrumors member

Repair Prermissions

You might want to try to boot off your install CD. At the installations menu select Disk Utilities under the Tools menu, and then repair disk permissions.

I am not 100% sure about the names of the menu items, but I am sure you'll figure it out.

Otherwise have a look in the console for any obvious error messages.

have fun
    Alex

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the eject button now has a delay. hold it for a few seconds or press "option+eject" for instant eject.

& then try typing these commands into Terminal. the first deletes the Trash directory and the second relaunches Finder to recreate the Trash directory.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf .Trashes
    Code:
    killall Finder

4. mycomputerhates thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to verify the disk, but the bar never moved and I had to go to work. But I'll have to try those other options and see what happens.

Thanks for the ideas

5. mycomputerhates thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using Terminal and entering the sudo code, but when I do a warning comes up:

"WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
    or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
    typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort."

At this point it won't let me type anything else and Ctrl-C just restarts the whole process. When I type in killall Finder, finder relaunches, but the problem continues with me not being able to delete anything.

Later I ran disk utility from the computer and ran "verify disk permissions". It took a long time and when it was done, it said verification complete, but nothing else. I've never run disk utility before. Should I click repair disk permissions next?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

it doesnt show a typing input so it is super secure. when it asks for a password just type it and press enter… nothing more, nothing less.

7. mycomputerhates thread starter macrumors newbie

no such luck

Neither of these options have appeared to work so far.

I tried entering the codes in Terminal and the only effect it seems to have is restarting Finder, yet I still cannot delete items.

Verify/Repair disk also seemed to work to no avail.

Oddly enough, however, I have external harddrives and I am able to delete items from them, but those items just sit in the trash can. When I try to open the trashcan, the pinwheel appears and I have to restart Finder because it locks up.

So far, am I the only one to have encountered this majorly effed up problem?

8. NikTheGreek macrumors newbie

have you been able to solve your problem in hte meantime?

I have a similar problem ... I had copied files generated under windows to my Mac hard drive. I can copy and open the files, but not move or delete them! I have also tried the Terminal command "sudo rm -f" ... without success