Can't delete "free space" partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MackenzieArbour, Dec 30, 2007.

1. MackenzieArbour macrumors newbie

I've had Leopard for barely any time at all, and I've already run into a problem. I tried to delete two of the three partitions I have for my Macintosh HD, but now where the partitions used to be is just allocated to "free space". I tried deleting the free space, but the minus button in disk utility is greyed out. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. MackenzieArbour thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, almost forgot these

Attached Files:

3. daveboy macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem. Can anyone shed any light on the issue?:(

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Um... you can't delete it, because it's already free space. There's nothing to delete.

If you're trying to move the remaining partition to the "top" (technically outside, I think) of the drive, Disk Utility can't do that. A repartition-on-the-fly app probably can, but the only ones I'm aware of are not free. Alternately, back up your files, reformat the drive and reinstall from scratch--this is safer, anyway.

If you want to expand your remaining partition to fill the whole drive, Disk Utility also can't do that. Same answer--non-free apps should be able to.

If you want to just create a partiton to fill that space, Disk Utility probably can, although I've never tried doing that--select the format you want for it and "Apply."

If I've misunderstood the question, apologies.

5. daveboy macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering. What are the non-free apps? I really don't have the time and patience to back up about 80 GBs of stuff.

EDIT
    Never mind I got it sorted with iPartition run from a boot disc.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Glad you got it worked out; iPartition was the only one I have experience with anyway. I didn't name it explicitly because it's been a while since I used it and didn't know what was around right now.