Can't delete locked files from bin

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MacHead84, Sep 30, 2014.

1. MacHead84 macrumors 6502

MacHead84

Hello Community,

This question might popped up before but I could not find anything via "search"
    I want to delete old backup files from my recycle bin and everything works fine but only one file wont go away. "boot.efi"
    The file is locked and therefore I cant delete it from recycle bin.
    Any ideas how to get rid of it?

[​IMG]

Thank you.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Two things:
    1. Macs do not have Recycle Bins. Macs have Trash Cans. Windows has the Recycle Bin.
    2. Your screen shot points to file in the System folder. You cannot delete files in the System folder.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It looks like you manually went into your Time Machine Backups.backupd backup file and dragging things to the trash, and you should not do that. You want to manage that Time Machine file from the Time Machine interface or you can break the backup set. You may have already broken it by doing what you did. I would erase your backup disk and start a new backup from scratch to make sure you have a solid backup.

To delete the files from Trash, try turning off Time Machine and then empty trash. If that won't work, install the app TrashIt and run that to force empty the trash.

4. MacHead84, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

MacHead84 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacHead84

I am doing a automatic backup every Monday with Time Machine Editor.
    The newest Backup is on my external drive. The one from the week before I delete manual.

This is the newest full backup.
    [​IMG]

Why I can't manual fully delete an old backup? Do you have a solution how to probably delete an old backup?

Thank you.

Edit/
    @Weaselboy

"TrashIt" has done the job perfectly. Thank you.

5. Weaselboy, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you are doing will work, but kind of defeats the purpose of Time Machine. Each time you run Time Machine it only backs up what was added or changed since the last backup. It does not do a full system backup as it appears. There is a good article here that explains how it works and how those folder you see in Backups.backupd are setup.

The idea is you just let the backups accumulate so you have old versions of files you can restore. For example, if you installed a utility that messed up your system, you would be able to use a Time Machine backup to restore back in time to a point before you installed the utility.

As the disk you have allocated for Time Machine gets full, Time Machine will start to delete the oldest data.

By deleting this data manually you lose the ability to restore old files versions.

You really should be able to just turn Time Machine on and leave it alone.

6. MacHead84 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacHead84