Can't delete old home folder...advice?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThrawnTHX, Feb 10, 2010.

1. ThrawnTHX macrumors member

Here's some background:

I have a MBP 17' unibody. I installed a SSD and removed the Super Drive in order to install a HDD in that bay. I wanted to have all user files save to the hard drive rather than the SSD in order to conserve space and reduce writes.

So, I changed the home folder by copying it to the storage hard drive and going into "System Preferences" >>"Acounts" and Advanced Options to change the home directory.

This all worked fine. No permission issues or anything strange. No problems here.

My problem stems from putting the old home folder found within Users in the trash. It won't delete via any of the following methods: using rm -rf and dragging the file into Terminal, Option delete, or from safe mode.

Any ideas? I'm guessing the solution will likely require some Terminal commands...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I had that problem too, but since it only took a couple a MBs away, I let it sit there, as it was never touched by the system.

3. Big Dave macrumors 6502

4. ThrawnTHX thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know it's not really an issue leaving it in the trash, but it's extremely annoying seeing a full trash icon and not being able to empty it! There must be a solution other than to ignore it.

5. ThrawnTHX thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much!

I'll be honest, I don't know what "sudo rm -rf" does as opposed to just "rm -rf" but it worked. I typed it and dragged the file from the trash to Terminal and hit return. It's gone for good!

6. Big Dave macrumors 6502

sudo = super user do. Basically you are executing as root. Root can do anything.