can't delete "on hold" printing document

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hehe299792458, Dec 29, 2008.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I tried to print a document a while ago, but forgot to attach the printer. When I did plug it in, the document still wouldn't printer. So, I hit print again and it came out. However, now, I can't get rid of the original unprinted document in the printer menu - it shows the doc as being "on hold". I tried deleting it, but it didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks a lot

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

open system preferences / print and fax

control click in the list of printers on the left, you should get a "reset printer system" contextual menu.

click it.

see if this fixes your issue.

[​IMG]

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

alternatively you could try logging on to the CUPS system -

http://localhost:631/

click on the printers tab, and then cancel all the print jobs for each printer that is listed.

4. Marco Comini macrumors newbie

Reset of the printing system has deleted all my printers and then I had to create them again (which has been quite painful since I had to remember all passwords and configuration details).

After I discovered the 'cancel -a' CUPS command, which did the job immediately without resetting anything

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Yes, it is very bad advice to suggest a print system reset without warning people that this will delete EVERYTHING related to printing.

This is the correct method.