Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nat8212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
I installed Yosemite on a partition to test and then I decided to run it as my primary driver. However now that I have upgraded to Yosemite, I can't delete the partition.

When I go to disk utility, I can't click the "-" to remove the partition. That option is just blocked out.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
It sounds like your yosemite installer may have created core storage logical volume groups which is preventing you from changing your partitions. You can run this in terminal to get your partitions back to normal. You will then be able to change them again after this.

diskutil cs list

and then

diskutil coreStorage revert lvUUID

where lvUUID is the last lvUUID reported by the previous Terminal command.

You may have to restart for everything to get back to normal after you have run these commands in Terminal.

Last edited:

Nat8212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
I sounds like your yosemite installer may have created core storage logical volume groups which is preventing you from changing your partitions. You can run this in terminal to get your partitions back to normal. You will then be able to change them again after this.

diskutil cs list

and then

where lvUUID is the last lvUUID reported by the previous Terminal command.

You may have to restart for everything to get back to normal after you have run these commands in Terminal.

Does it matter which partition I am putting these commands in?
and can you clarify the last part (lvUUID)

Thanks

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
It won't matter which partition you run them from.

The lvUUIDs are logical volume universally unique identifiers. If core storage logical volumes were indeed created, you may get several of these when you run the command

diskutil cs list

in terminal. Just copy and paste the last one of these into the next command replacing the red bit with your lvUUID.

Last edited:

Nat8212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
It won't matter which partition you run them from.

The lvUUIDs are logical volume universally unique identifiers. If core storage logical volumes were indeed created, you may get several of these when you run the command

diskutil cs list

in terminal. Just copy and paste the last one of these into the next command replacing the red bit with your lvUUID.

what you mentioned didn't really work. I can now delete a partition however the only partition I can delete my main one. In disk utility the partition i want to delete is the logical volume group, while the partition I want to keep is mac os extended.

is there a way I can swap that around?

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
I installed Yosemite on a partition to test and then I decided to run it as my primary driver. However now that I have upgraded to Yosemite, I can't delete the partition.

When I go to disk utility, I can't click the "-" to remove the partition. That option is just blocked out.

You have to erase it first and then you can delete it, the space will be combined
with the disk as a whole. That worked for me.

Nat8212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
You have to erase it first and then you can delete it, the space will be combined
with the disk as a whole. That worked for me.

yep worked for me to except now my drive name has reverted to "APPLE SSD SM0512F MEDIA"

is there a way to change that? (not a big problem but its bugging me a little haha)

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
yep worked for me to except now my drive name has reverted to "APPLE SSD SM0512F MEDIA"

is there a way to change that? (not a big problem but its bugging me a little haha)

you can always change the name of a HD, but I know why yours changed, my HD name did not change.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
re
[[ yep worked for me to except now my drive name has reverted to "APPLE SSD SM0512F MEDIA" ]]

Can't you just click on the drive's name in the finder and re-name it??

Nat8212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
re
[[ yep worked for me to except now my drive name has reverted to "APPLE SSD SM0512F MEDIA" ]]

Can't you just click on the drive's name in the finder and re-name it??

Don't worry. It's not my hard drive name, I can change that. Its the ssd name. But maybe its meant to be called that and I didn't check before upgrading

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like your yosemite installer may have created core storage logical volume groups...

Yep. The developer previews seemed to only make this core storage volume if Yosemite was installed on a second partition. Now since the public beta I have seen several posts here reporting it converts to core storage even with a clean install to one partition on a freshly erased disk.

I am wondering if Apple did this for some reason? Maybe they think a core storage volume like this would be less susceptible to disk corruption.

Don't worry. It's not my hard drive name, I can change that. Its the ssd name. But maybe its meant to be called that and I didn't check before upgrading

That is the drive brand name and normal, you just did not notice it before. :)

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
So Im trying to delete the Yosemite partition but the (-) button is not working. I just want my computer back to how it was :/

edit -

So just to be sure, and Im reading it correctly from the thread tywebb13 posted, I have to delete the Yosemite HD (pic 2) and then Ill be able to delete the partition from pic 1?
Im assuming after doing so, everything will go back to how it was..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.28.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.28.06 AM.png
    391.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.28.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.28.35 AM.png
    439.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.28.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.28.41 AM.png
    439.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
You must select the partition you want to delete to make the "-" button work.

This is just in case (in your screenshot the Yosemite partition is not selected).

This will not solve your problem, this is just for info.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So Im trying to delete the Yosemite partition but the (-) button is not working. I just want my computer back to how it was :/

edit -

So just to be sure, and Im reading it correctly from the thread tywebb13 posted, I have to delete the Yosemite HD (pic 2) and then Ill be able to delete the partition from pic 1?
Im assuming after doing so, everything will go back to how it was..

You can't delete it from there because Yosemite turned the volume into a core storage volume. Follow this to delete it and everything will go back like it was.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
You can't delete it from there because Yosemite turned the volume into a core storage volume. Follow this to delete it and everything will go back like it was.

Ok, so is this correct?
Afterward just drag my Macintosh partition down to expand into the empty space?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 10.26.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 10.26.28 AM.png
    332.3 KB · Views: 140

chrisrand

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013

I know this is an old article, but this recently happened to me and the easiest way to get rid of the Yosemite partition is to:

1) Boot your other OS, mine was Mavericks
2) Open Disk Utility
3) Select the Yosemite partition
4) Select the erase tab, erase it,
5) Select the main drive and go to the partition tab, where you can then delete the Yosemite partition and resize it back to the original size.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.