Can't delete phantom file in Leopard or Vista

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluerazr, Mar 14, 2008.

1. bluerazr macrumors newbie

I'm a first time poster long time member here. I'm in a pickle... I can ignore this situation but I'm the type to fix it than ignore it!!

I had started organizing my music library on my external hard drive and discovered a directory that will not delete at all! At the time of discovery I was in Vista. The file shows it is a .jpg but it has no name, no attributes.
    When I tried to move to the trash I got an error message that the file couldn't be found, try again or cancel.

[​IMG]

So I booted into Leopard and was able to move the directory to the trash, then it wouldn't empty the trash. Now the Trash can was always full and this is really starting to bug me! I went into Vista, renamed the .trash folder to Trashes and made it visible. I have tried to delete the folder using command screen in Vista (dos sim) and in Leopard using Terminal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing will delete it. I think the only way to remove will be to format the disk but I have it filled almost completely 500 gigs. I've searched the internet and with all the ways to delete files/folders that are in use this is different. What can I do??

Thanks!

Rio

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can't rm a directory. Use rm -rf, that should remove it.

TEG

3. bluerazr thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that just now and still gave me some funky message:

[​IMG]

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

5. bluerazr thread starter macrumors newbie

it almost worked with that command, however the same error came up after 30 seconds, saying that the file or directory doesnt exist. What sucks is that it erased stuff on my desktop and the folders in my directory. its alright because I didnt have anything of value on them but still :-/

I think I will move off my stuff off the drive and format this sucka cause nothing seems to work! :rolleyes:

6. bisbee macrumors newbie

You are not alone, bluerazr

I am having a very similar problem. Have you found a way to delete the file?
    I have persistant files that show up in my trash. If I try to move them out they vanish. They show up in an ls of my .Trashes, but I cannot move, remove, rename, or view them. Very annoying.