Can't delete processes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SamuelDM, Aug 28, 2011.

1. SamuelDM, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

SamuelDM macrumors newbie

Ok, so I've had my MacBook Pro for 6 days now and I've stumbled onto my first problem that I haven't been able to fix. I installed some software for my MyBook Essentials and then figured out that I didn't need it, so I deleted everything that was associated to it and that worked fine (I like to have a clean system) but there is one process that the non existent software is using that no matter how many times I quit and force quit comes back. Now I wouldn't be so bothered about this if it wasn't using up 5mb of my ram if it was 1 or less that's fine but otherwise I would rather it be gone. I've tried enabling root login but I can't actually login as a root user. I've tried everything I could find on google and I can't figure it out myself. Any help would be gratefully received.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those searching for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

3. SamuelDM thread starter macrumors newbie

I've deleted all the files though but there are still the processes.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you had deleted all the files, the process wouldn't be running. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Select the process and click "Inspect" on the toolbar. Then click "Open Files and Ports" and you should see where it's coming from. Kill the process and delete the files.

5. SamuelDM thread starter macrumors newbie

I restarted my Mac and it hasn't come up again. I'll remember how to do this from now on, thank you ever so much.

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Don't install random crap. I'm not being mean, seriously, just don't.