Can't delete some files on external HD

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Is there some way to force the deletion of files on an external HD? I keep getting "the operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items"

Now I am the only one using these HD's. Could it be that I originally created the folder using my other macbook and it needs to be deleted from that machine?:confused:

-kritter-

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Idaho
Dont know if you have tried this yet, but right click on each of these files and click "Get Info" make sure they arent locked, and also make sure the Ownership & Permissions are set to read and write...

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Try removing the items from the trash, repairing permissions and then trashing the files again.

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Dont know if you have tried this yet, but right click on each of these files and click "Get Info" make sure they arent locked, and also make sure the Ownership & Permissions are set to read and write...
Checked all the files and they are unlocked and all are read and write permissions... grrr

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Try removing the items from the trash, repairing permissions and then trashing the files again.
They don't get to the trash it won't allow them in there they are still on the external HD. How do I repair the permissions on them? New to mac here :eek: