Can't delete songs from iTunes 9!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iTone, Sep 14, 2009.

1. iTone macrumors regular

iTone

I decided to reorganize my iTunes library and delete all my songs to only re-add the stuff i listen to. Well all were deleted but two songs that refuse to go away. I select them both and hit delete or right click and then select delete from the menu but nothing, they are still there. What the hell!? :confused:

2. maneuvre macrumors newbie

Just go to your Itunes Music folder in finder (search with spotlight) and delete "itunes music library.xml" you will have a clean sheet!

If you want to delete songs who misteriously won't delete the regular way, but you do not want to delete your entire library there is a solution too!

1. Search for Itunes in Spotlight after you have closed the app.
    2. Open The iTunes folder.
    3. Open the Itunes Music Library.xml by command click (or right click) and choose "open with" then choose "texteditor.app".
    4. Now you wil see alot of symbols and letters, don't panic!
    5. Hit Command+F (Search function) and Search for one tipical word in the title or artistname of the song you want to delete. (like in Daft Punk you choose to look for "Daft")
    6. Now it wil give a result within the tekst, try to read in between all the symbols, the artist and trackname are there (it's a collection of all the info from the ID3Tag of the song)
    7. If it is the song you want to get rid off delete all the tekst in between both:
    </dict>
    <key>....</key>
    <dict>

8. Example:

</dict>
    <key>1522</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Track ID</key><integer>1522</integer>
    <key>Name</key><string>Vondelpark Vannacht</string>
    <key>Artist</key><string>Acda & De Munnik</string>
    <key>Album</key><string>Acda & De Munnik</string>
    <key>Genre</key><string>Nederlandstalig</string>
    <key>Kind</key><string>MPEG-audiobestand</string>
    <key>Size</key><integer>3223032</integer>
    <key>Total Time</key><integer>200594</integer>
    <key>Track Number</key><integer>4</integer>
    <key>Year</key><integer>1997</integer>
    <key>Date Modified</key><date>2009-05-06T22:50:44Z</date>
    <key>Date Added</key><date>2009-03-22T13:52:36Z</date>
    <key>Bit Rate</key><integer>128</integer>
    <key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
    <key>Artwork Count</key><integer>1</integer>
    <key>Persistent ID</key><string>85F4AC28025C382E</string>
    <key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
    <key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Volumes/TERA/Media%20Files/Muziek/A/Acda%20&%20De%20Munnik/Acda%20&%20De%20Munnik%20-%20Acda%20&%20De%20Munnik/Acda%20&%20De%20Munnik%20-%2004%20-%20Vondelpark%20Vannacht.mp3</string>
    <key>File Folder Count</key><integer>-1</integer>
    <key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>-1</integer>

</dict>
    <key>1524</key>
    <dict>

You delete the fat printed text and make sure you'll keep the buttom </dict>...etc

9. Now you have deleted the song from the library. Once you start itunes again, it will be gone from your list!!

succes!

3. PDX NTV macrumors newbie

Watch out!

Clean sheet is right. Don't do this unless you want to basically start from scratch w/ your library. If I did that to my 15,000+ (legit) library, I'd need to throttle the person who posted that tip!

Not being able to delete some tracks in iTunes can often be fixed by restarting according to other forum posts. I'm having the same issue editing/deleting tracks I got from eMusic (has never occurred before), and will restart and try again as soon as a back-up is completed.

====================
    UPDATE: Restarting completed fixed the issue, and it has not recurred since. Whew!

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, jeez, a bit extreme to wipe all your iTunes library data. Since 9.0 came out I too have had some random tracks that REFUSE to be deleted from the library, but restarting iTunes has seemed to work so far.

I really wish iTunes could store ratings in song files - that's the one bit of data that I really can't loose, lots of time invested in it. Then it wouldn't be so bad having to start from scratch if necessary.

5. bodoliciouss Guest

Why does this happen?

I had the same problem, and deleting the song info from the .xml file worked to get rid of them. But I am still wondering why this happens? Does anyone have an idea?

6. Joefiasco macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, threw the file in the trash, but couldn't get the song off of itunes (wouldn't play of course) but it was annoying.
    Solution: Quit Itunes, then reopen it. Solved the problem for me.

7. jevans51 macrumors newbie

Unable To Delete Songs From Itunes 9 Playlist

Hi Wonder If Anybody Could Help Recently Upgraded To Itunes 9 But Found After Downloading Song From Limewire I Am Unable To Delete. If I Go To Edit The Delete Icon Is Grey Not Black Any Ideas

8. quirkey macrumors newbie

Dont try to delete from within a Playlist!

I had been trying to delete from a smart playlist I'd been using to filter songs i didnt like and rated badly (One Star -basically).

I didnt really fancy all the effort of digging inside that text file either.

Then I discovered, once i instead clicked in the main Music view (top left library) I was then able to delete.... Yeaayyy!

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just so you know, you can also delete songs directly from within a Smart Playlist by using Option-Delete.

jW

10. Harshaw macrumors newbie

THIS

[​IMG]

I don't get asked this question anymore. WHY

11. Harshaw macrumors newbie

12. RedElectro macrumors regular

I had this problem and couldn't delete. Then realised I was viewing "recently added files" and not a regular window like "Movies" or "Music" - when I changed to that view, I could delete all the files.

I just wasn't paying enough attention to the left panel! ;)