Can't Delete Space on External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shawsinio, May 17, 2008.

1. shawsinio macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a clear out on my external hard drive, and have deleted a few films and things I don't want anymore. Im trying to shift some of the things from my internal hard drive onto the free'd up space on my external. However, it doesn't see to have registered that the files on the external have been deleted, stating there is only 1.4 or something GB left free on the external. I have probaly deleted 15 GB worth of data, and also tried erasing free space on the external too (via disk utility), but it's still claiming the space is in use. I have this probem all the time with USB pens too (my external however is firewire).

Just wondering what I can do?! I'd appreciate any help!

Thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone ,I'm also having a few issues with my battery, coconut battery says:

Is that normal? Because my Macbook turns itself off instead of going to sleep, even if it says there is still about an hour or so left. Is my battery shot? Could I get it replaced on applecare? (I still have warranty left from applecare I purchased).

Thanks for your help!

Shawsinio

Attached Files:

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

1. When you deleted the files, did you just drag them to the trash? Did you empty the trash?

2. Coconut Battery readout looks normal. Your mac is 2 years old and the capacity of the battery will decrease over time. You can re-calibrate it and it may increase the capacity.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&q=battery recalibrate

Since you didn't mention which mac you have, I provided the link to the main recalibrate page. Just select the link which best supports your mac.

As far as the mac shutting down (again I don't know which mac you have) you should do one of the following:

PMU Reset
    SMU Reset
    SMC Reset

3. shawsinio thread starter macrumors regular

1. Yep, I dragged them to the trash and have also emptied the trash, to no avail.
    2. I have one of the original MacBooks, Core Duo. What will the resets do?

thanks for your reply.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

1. Run Disk Utility -> First Aid on the disk as it sounds like you have some file system corruption giving you the wrong information.

2. The System Management Controller is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is on the logic board of the computer. As the name implies, it is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

Over time, the settings in the System Management Controller may become unusable, which can result in operational anomalies with the computer. Examples include not turning on, not waking from sleep, not charging the battery, or not recognizing the AC Adapter, among others.

5. shawsinio thread starter macrumors regular

Have nor run the repair function, and it says the volume is fine. Hmm, this is bizarre, its still giving me "wrong" information on how much space is actualy left. I know there is space but it won't let me copy anything onto th drive. Any other suggestions?

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26055/baseline

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7402/omnidisksweeper

These are shareware product to check the disk and show you the files that are taking up all of the space. You can delete the files within these programs.

There may be freeware alternatives, but I don't have the time to research it.