Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I need some help getting the items I have on my computer permanently deleted from the trash. When I go to delete them I get the following message below and I can't delete anything. Please help. What do I need to do?

Message Received:
This operation can not be completed because the item is locked
wmphelp.htm
wmpicon.gif
windowshade.gif
whatsnew.htm
volume.gif
viewinginfo.htm
upgradingwmp.htm
understandingwm.htm
understandingstream.htm
understandingstats.htm
understandinglicense.htm
understandingbuffering.htm
understandingcontentprompt.htm
toviewstat.htm
toviewinformation.htm
tousekeyboardshortcuts.htm
toturntitlesonoroff.htm
AND THE LIST JUST GOES ON.......

HEEEELLLLPPP Me. I HATE WINDOWS ANYTHING.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Maybe they literally are "locked". Select a file in the Trash, File -> Get Info, then check right in the middle of the panel to see if "Locked" is checked. If it is, uncheck it and then delete it. Repeat. :apple:

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
You can securely delete. Go to the thrash and on the menu bar, go to Finder--> Secure Empty Thrash.

Much better than having to unlock and delete one by one. :p (yes I am talking to you eRondeau :))

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
You can securely delete. Go to the thrash and on the menu bar, go to Finder--> Secure Empty Thrash.

Much better than having to unlock and delete one by one. :p (yes I am talking to you eRondeau :))

Okay- so this partially worked. It deleted everything except the windows media player application in the trash. When I do a secure delete it says the file cannot be completed because the item "htm" is in use.

Restarting my computer does not solve this problem.

I do not like downloading random programs because of this reason, so I have yet to try Samarium's app.

Any other recommendations/solutions.

Thanks Watabou

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Okay- so this partially worked. It deleted everything except the windows media player application in the trash. When I do a secure delete it says the file cannot be completed because the item "htm" is in use.

Restarting my computer does not solve this problem.

I do not like downloading random programs because of this reason, so I have yet to try Samarium's app.

Any other recommendations/solutions.

Thanks Watabou

Well Make sure all your apps are closed, including your webbrowsers the only thing that should be open if finder. Give that a try. If that doesn't work, you may need to go to utilities->activity viewer and see if you can find the file named like the one you want to delete kill the process and try again.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Well Make sure all your apps are closed, including your webbrowsers the only thing that should be open if finder. Give that a try. If that doesn't work, you may need to go to utilities->activity viewer and see if you can find the file named like the one you want to delete kill the process and try again.

Tried it. Same problem.

acourtman

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
I transferred mp3 files from a friends computer, when emptying the trash i am told i do not have sufficient priveleges to perform the operation (they are not locked). The offending folders view as 0kb and when opened mp3s are visible for a matter of seconds before disappearing. Help! (thanks):confused:

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Maybe they literally are "locked". Select a file in the Trash, File -> Get Info, then check right in the middle of the panel to see if "Locked" is checked. If it is, uncheck it and then delete it. Repeat. :apple:

You are the man; done and deleted!. Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.