Can't delete trash.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilkenton, Apr 25, 2011.

1. pilkenton macrumors member

pilkenton

I had this problem before, but forgot how to fix. I have two strange files in my trash that won't delete. There are a bunch of strange characters for a name. i've tried the force erase, pulling it out of the trash, and renaming it. Nothing worked. I remember reading somewhere that it has to do with my bootcamp and typing something into the terminal will fix it. Unfortunately I don't remember what to type into the terminal, but it worked last time I had this problem. I don't have windows on my mac.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Terminal command

rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

3. pilkenton thread starter macrumors member

pilkenton

None of this works. I tried all of this before. I know there is a terminal command, but I don't remember it.

BTW I get error code -35 when I try to do anything with it. I don't know if this is the problem, but it happened right after I did this. I was going to burn a DVD and didn't. I couldn't eject the disc, so I restarted with the mouse pressed to force eject it. It ejected OK, but the icon was still on my desktop. I sent it to trash and when I went to delete trash, there were two files there with strange symbols underneath, These are the files I can't get rid of.