Can't delete unwanted partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by liamohanlon11, Mar 31, 2012.

1. liamohanlon11 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Basically what i've done is. For the past few months I have been trying out different Operating Systems. I recently tried to install Back Track 5 (GNOME) along with rEFIt. Now this has created a couple of unwanted partitions which I am trying to delete but it won't let me because:
    1. It's Bootable
    2. It's not mounted
    Can somebody, anybody help me?

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Do you have the install DVD that came with your Mac? If so, you can boot from it (hold down the Option key after you hear the chime until a disk option menu comes up) select your DVD, and hit enter. Then you will be brought to the installer. Instead of installing, click the utilities menu at the top and click disk utility. Use this to do what you want to your internal HD. Select a partition, resize another, delete another...

If you don't have the DVD, you can try going to the utilities folder and opening disk utility there. It may or may not let you do what you need since it is internal, though.

3. liamohanlon11, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

liamohanlon11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that and get back to you, thanks.

EDIT: Ok, so i turned off my laptop and went to find the installer disc but i couldn't. So when i turned my laptop back on again i realised "oh god, now i'll have to activate rEFIt again from backtrack 5. So I went on to backtrack and i tried to click on my Macintosh HD but it says it's not mountable because it's the wrong fs. So, is there a linux equivalent for rEFIt?

4. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Do you have a Mac that came with OS X Lion? If so, you won't have an install disk. Do you have an external, though? If you do, clone your Lion partition onto that and boot from it. Then you can go into disk utility and do all you want with your internal.

Ps- not sure what you mean by rEFIT.