Can't Delete Windows BootCamp Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by solitarycheese, Jan 13, 2010.

1. solitarycheese macrumors newbie

I attempted to install Windows 7 using bootcamp assistant with a 5GB partition. I got halfway through the Windows 7 install when I got an error message, saying that Windows needs 8284 megabytes to install. I want to delete the current partition and create a larger partition to complete the install.

However, when I run bootcamp, I get "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

I tried deleting the partition using disk utility, didn't work either.

How can I fix this?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What happened with Disk Utility? Did you get an error?

B

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

In disk utility, you wern't Erasing it were you?

You need to click on the hard drive, not the partition, then click partition, click the bootcamp partition, and then the -. Then just expand the other partition(s) by dragging them and click apply.

That was probably impossible to understand.

4. solitarycheese thread starter macrumors newbie

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In case anyone reads this thread in the future since it ended rather cryptically. :)

Disk Utility's Erase tab is for clearing out the data on a disk or in a partition, the data can be replaces with all zeros, ones, or various other options.

The Partition tab is the one you need for repartitioning the drive including resizing partitions by dragging the corner or deleting partitions (the minus sign) or adding partitions (the plus sign).

B