Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Hi,

I recently upgraded my Mac from Panther to Tiger. When I typed java -version, I saw that my Mac used 1.4 as my default. I changed the java version manually by copying the files from /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5 to
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK

Everything seemed fine until I tried to start /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/Java Preferences.app and also DbVisualizer (a database visualization tool). The error I get is:

Could not launch the application because it requires a version of Java that is not installed.
This application requires Java 1.4 or later, but only the following Java versions are installed: . Updating to a newer version of Mac OS X may resolve this.

I have the following settings:
"which java" results in: /usr/bin/java
and "java -version" results in:
java version "1.5.0_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-83)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_05-48, mixed mode, sharing)

I think the errror message only appeared after I re-started my machine. Did anybody experience this problem before?
Thank you for any help in advance!
Mira

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mira said:
Hi,

.... I changed the java version manually by copying the files from /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5 to
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK

I think the errror message only appeared after I re-started my machine. Did anybody experience this problem before?
Thank you for any help in advance!
Mira
:rolleyes: You screwed-up your Java installation and then wondered why you get error messages? Apple just released a new version of Java this week. It defaults to Java 2 (1.5.0_06). Restore your installation to its state before you went mucking around in it. Then run Software Update to get the lastest update of Java.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.