iPhone Can't DFU, can't restore, iTunes and Explorer don't see iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PhoenixL, May 8, 2013.

1. PhoenixL macrumors newbie

My iPhone 5 (jailbroken) was dead this morning - thought it was 'just' battery as the battery has been going quickly. No amount of charging is making a jot of difference, though. It doesn't show on iTunes. I can't get it to reboot (holding down power and home) or restore (holding down power and home for ten seconds, then letting go of power) or DFU - just a totally black screen. It doesn't show in Windows explorer at all. I've reinstalled all apple software (bonjour, itunes, quicktime etc). Any ideas? I'm trying to keep my cool but this is so frustrating!

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

3. PhoenixL thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I tried a wall charger. Sorry for not being clear. In fact, I've tried two different cables with two different wall chargers in all available combinations. Nothing. I'm concerned that if I take it into the Apple store they won't help because it's Jailbroken. Any other ideas? :(

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

5. PhoenixL thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm coming to. Can't they just refuse to help because it was/is jailbroken? Is there anything particular I should/shouldn't say?

6. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Well, you shouldn't say it's jailbroken. ;) If they also can't get it to turn on, and they won't spend as much time trying as you did, then they won't know it's jailbroken. And if they do get it working, at least you will know what they did if this happens again.

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

If you can't boot or do anything I'm not sure how they'd even know.

8. PhoenixL thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay - I'm booking an appointment. Darnit! Assuming they replace it, is there a high chance that it'll have one of the new un-JBable softwares?

9. PhoenixL thread starter macrumors newbie

Got an appointment in an hour and a half. Crossing my fingers until then...

Thanks, everyone. Do let me know if you have any advice before I head off there.

10. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I would say the chances of getting a device on 6.1.3+ is higher than getting one 6.1.2- right now. Good luck and hope you get one that's jailbreakable

11. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

12. PhoenixL thread starter macrumors newbie

Got a replacement, but on 6.1.3. On the one hand, at least I have a phone and can text again. On the flip side, I'm going to mourn my Jailbreak. There isn't anything at all I can do, is there? What's the estimate on a new Jailbreak?

13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Nothing you can do. Next jailbreak probably wot be until Q1 2014. That's my guess based on the most recent jailbreak release cycles.

There are a few computer tools you can use to change things like your carrier name. It's better than nothing. Others can chime in with more info. They came out before evasion came out. Check out idownloadblog too. They covered all these non-jailbreak "hacks". There were a couple that came out. One was for carrier name and another one was for hidig the Newsstand app.