Cant' dial out or receive calls (intermittent) - but Wifi works?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dogbiskit2, Sep 20, 2009.

1. dogbiskit2 macrumors member

Hi all,

I tried searching, but the problem I'm seeing seems to be a bit different.

For the past few days, I've noticed that my 3GS (not JB'd, 3.1 software) won't be able to make or receive calls/SMS. The wifi works fine, so I can access the internet when at home. I discover the issue when I try to make a call - it doesn't connect; or if someone tries to call/message me, I don't get it. If I turn the phone off then on, it works again (turning airplane mode on and off doesn't do it) and seems to last for a while.

I tried a restore from backup last night to see if that would fix it, but it happened again today. Does this seem like a hardware issue? A SIM issue? Do I need to restore as a new phone? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any input!
    J

2. nohanderguy macrumors newbie

1) Restore as a new phone and try then.
    2) Get new one, since its hardware problem.

:)

3. voodoo curse macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem with my brand new 3gs. I thought it might be a sim issue so I had at&t put a new sim in it. No good.

I took it to the apple store I got it from and they gave me a new one. It's a hardware problem.

4. dogbiskit2 thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. The only thing is, I've had this phone for 3 months and this only recently started happening. Anyway, I guess I'll have to try the "restore as new" first and then make the trip to the apple store if that doesn't work. Thanks!

5. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

Same here

The same thing happened to me today, with my two week
    old 3Gs. Suddenly, I couldn't receive or send calls. I went to my local Apple store. I didn't get past the greeter. She simply rebooted the phone and it worked. She said it can happen if the phone is not rebooted often. I was dubious, but it worked. Now that I'm reading the other posts, I'm not too sure.

6. dogbiskit2 thread starter macrumors member

Well, it seems like there are quite a few threads out there describing this same exact problem both here on MR and apple.com as well. Here are some threads:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2159018&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2169242&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2156615&tstart=0

Granted, there are some cross-posters in these threads, but this definitely isn't limited to just a few users. It seems strangely coincidental with the 3.1 update. I'm going to try some of the other things first (i.e. reset network settings, replace sim card, turn off 3G) and hold off on doing a "restore as new" as long as possible. Hopefully a true fix from Apple/AT&T will surface soon.

7. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Yea, I'm cross posting right now....but this has been happening to me for the past few days and its ridiculous; its happening every few hours for me!