Can't do anything with disk utility - everything is grayed out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Manic Harmonic, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what caused this, but I'm on OSX Lion on a 2011 MBP and all of a sudden I can't do anything with disk utility. I mean ANYTHING. I can't repair disk permissions, repair disk, partition, format, or erase any disk, including external drives. I have another Lion partition on my second hard drive that does not have this issue. Both Recovery partitions do not have this issue. Obviously I can still use this as a workaround, but it's definitely less than ideal. What should I do?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Manic Harmonic thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, I only have one account on this hard drive.

4. eatrocks macrumors newbie

Can't Erase, Partition nor Restore

Same here, disk utility is almost totally non-functional. The only thing I can do is view disks and partitions, I can't even eject a removable disk (eject still works from Finder though).
    I booted from my home-made Lion install thumb drive and Disk Utility appears to be functional from there.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Some functionality is removed when booted into the main drive partition you are trying to access as a safety feature and to gain the full functionality, one must boot from a recovery partition or external drive (this happened with things such as reformats and such).

6. nova62400 macrumors newbie

Fixed (mine)

I came here having this issue. The problem was that disk util had 2 windows open, so check the window menu.
    Closed both windows and relaunched it and all was well.

7. Luci3n macrumors newbie

I just had this problem. All options on Disk Utility were greyed out. This was the answer. Very odd that two windows were option.