Can't do clean install of OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by icemastarob, Jun 15, 2012.

1. icemastarob macrumors newbie

So have an old MacBook from 2010ish. Starts getting a bit slow so took it to an apple store. They suggested that the hard dirive might be corrupted. I decided to buy a bigger hdd and double the ram. I installed it all myself as it was out of warranty. I'd made a time machine back up of my old Hdd. Went to boot it up and got the folder with a question mark icon flashing, obviously due to the blank hard drive. From reading some threads on here, turned out I required the installation CD to boot up. Inserted disc 1, the folder with question mark dissappears and... Nothing, just a blank grey screen. Tried it several times now with holding c and option etc., still the same... Have I missed something???

2. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

is the cd that came with the macbook?

3. Antowns macrumors member

If you have another mac try downloading Lion or buying a copy of Snow Leopard, you can try those disks.

Also, I don't mean to pull away at your buying decisions but buying a bigger hard drive won't speed up your system. Ideally if you're wanting to get the best speed increase you should look at buying an SSD. I just put one in today and honestly, its got to be the best buy I've made yet.

Also, with more RAM you're only increasing the capacity for simultaneously running applications.

4. icemastarob thread starter macrumors newbie

I think problem with it ring slow was more the fact it was a corrupted hdd. And when I say slow, I mean stupidly slow! To the point of barely working. The aren't the discs hat came with my MacBook but they are OSX install discs, mine are on the other side of the country annoyingly. Any thoughts?