Cant do tv out on my iMac help please

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Stirolak26, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Stirolak26, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

Stirolak26 macrumors member

I am trying to connect my 21" iMac (about 4 months old and it may be 19" dont remember) to my Samsung HDTV (PN50B450B1D) and it doesnt work. Here are the parts I ordered from amazon to connect the two monitors together:

The mini display port:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HU629E

And this is the html cable I ordered:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L5R78

The cables plug un perfectly to the tv and imac so I dont know what the problem is. I go to that section or input on the tv (hdmi 1) and a black acreen that says nothing is connected appears. When i go to display settings on the imac nothing is recognized either and it says no external display detected. Oh and my iMac is intel based with radeon gpu.

2. thejollyfatman macrumors newbie

You may want to check that the HDMI cable is HDCP compliant, i think MiniDisplay Port outputs HDCP (Hight-Bandwith Digital Content Protection) to stop people copying stuff onto DVD recorders.

I had a similar problem with content on my Apple TV, had to buy a new cable for around GBP£14, instead of using the AmazonBasics GBP£1.98 that i was originally.

Rollie

3. Stirolak26 thread starter macrumors member

I tried wth another (gold plated) cable that I disconnected from my blue ray player and plugged into the mini display port nd it also didnt work.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I've noticed that things have to be done in the "right order" for the TV display to work. Turn TV to correct input station, THEN plug in to Mac to detect an active external display.

I encounter this problem when using an old Dell monitor with my 2009 iMac. When the monitor is off, no display is detected (newer ones are detected even when off).

5. Stirolak26 thread starter macrumors member

Ok Ill try that, but do you guys think it could also be because it doesnt say imac just macbook, etc. On the amazon item description? Are there specific mini display ports to specific devices?

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't know when the 'cutoff' is for iMacs, but I know that 2010 MBPs were the first laptop to be able to support audio via MDP HDMI adapter. Maybe your iMac isn't supported at all?

7. Stirolak26 thread starter macrumors member

Why would it have a mini display port if its not supported?

8. MacHamster68, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

to connect a new apple cinema display for example

and not all tv's work well with Mac's or pc's even if the tv has HDMI input it doesnt mean it will recognize the signal from the computer there are some variables to think about resolution is one thing, it all has to match or you see nothing

and a hdmi cable is not equal a hdmi cable there a differences most noticable in price like mentioned by someone above you get cables for £1 but you get hdmi high speed cables for £100 and more too , and they all look the same, not that the most expensive would be the best , but higher quality comes with a higher price usually ...

9. Meeshie macrumors newbie

Meeshie

No signal detected: Sony Bravia HDTV to iMac

Hi, I just bought a Sony Bravia HDTV with the intention of using it as a 2nd monitor for my iMac. I used a Rocketfish brand mini-display port to HDMI adapter & connected it to my TV using HDMI port 1. When I selected the HDMI 1 input I got this message on my TV: "No signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT button." I unplugged/replugged the cables & still get the same message. I shut down the iMac, turned off the TV, restarted everything & still get the same message. I went to the Device List on the TV and "enabled" it and rcvd "No HDMI devices were found. Please check the connections." I'm obviously missing something. Can you help me? I'd hate to have to repackage this TV & send it back. :( Thanks.