Can't Downgrade to 4.2.8 Even With Saved SHSH Blobs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Zac7, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

So I was jailbroken on jailbreakme.com 3.0 on my Verizon iPhone running 4.2.8. I then started theming the phone and the carrier logo but after a reboot I lost 3G. Couldn't find anyway of fixing so had to restore.

I have tried numerous times to downgrade after having to restore iPhone. Everytime I try I get error 1013 or 20 and can't get out of recovery. I even tried kicking out of recovery with tiny umbrella. Anyone else having problems downgrading with SHSH blobs saved on Verizon iPhone? Any ideas? I really want to get back to my jailbreak.

I have followed all the directions on YouTube and some of the other sites and edited the host file but keep coming up with the same errors.

Please help!

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Use fixrecovery for 1013 or you can use redsn0w. 20 is if your antivirus is interfering with restore process...

3. Zac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have ot tried this yet, but I am wondering if the reason I can't update is because I saved my SHSH blobs yesterday with tiny umbrella. I was still on 4.2.8 jailbroken. I read somewhere else that if apple stopped signing it doesn't matter if you had it on the phone. In tiny umbrella it shows 4.2.8 as one of the saved blobs along with Cydia. Any ideas? Or am I still ok to try the fix recovery idea?

Thanks

4. Chappy313 macrumors newbie

The fix...

The 1013 is a baseband error. You need a way around it. Use snowbreeze to create a custom Ispw. You can download the proper version for 4.2.8. I cant remember it off the top of my head. If you have your signature blobs (shsh) saved to tiny umbrella, start tiny umbrella... Depending on your software you may have to run as administrator. Make sure everything is checked in the advanced section and start TSS server then minimize tinyumbrella. Use the I believe it's the iREB tool in snowbreeze to put your phone into a pwned DFU mode and launch iTunes. ITunes will detect your phone in recovery mode and tell you that you must restore to use. Click okay. Hold shift for PC , alt for Mac and hit restore. When the window opens and ask you to direct iTunes to your firmware. Choose your custom Ispw and let it run. Should restore you no problem.

5. mylyf macrumors newbie

All,

first a BIG Thank You to f4780y and lman31 i was seriously doubting this could be done... but it can..

it took me 5 days to get this done, and i performed it 3x to verify i could do it..

here are the step by step instructions.. (downgrade verizon to 4.2.8)
    (i downgraded to 4.2.6 and i used a mac)

shut down itunes
    make sure you have 4.2.8 and 4.2.6 firmware
    redsnow 0.9.6rc19
    either recboot or tinyumbrella (i used recboot)
    (pay attention to step 6 where it says to use 4.2.6 this will jb your phone)

1. edit the hosts file and make sure gs.apple.com points to cydia server
    if that is where your blobs are saved.. (74.208.105.171)

2. startup itunes (make sure this is a fresh start of itunes)

3. put phone into dfu mode (http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/)

4. itunes popup will say your phone is in recovery mode..
    (hit alt-restore and choose the 4.2.8 firmware)

5. this will get to about 60-75% and then will reboot and you will
    have the itunes logo with the usb cable

6. startup redsnow and follow the onscreen instruction choose the 4.2.6 firmware and then on the next screen choose install cydia..

7. on the next screen it goes through the instructions to put the phone
    into dfu mode, in step 3.. hold it down the home button until you see the firmware being written to the iphone (on the iphone screen) then you can release the home button (this is where i was previously messing up in that i was not holding it down long enough so i held it until the phone rebooted and the pineapple came up)

8. then you will see it reboot with the pineapple on the screen, when i got to the installing bundles section i let it sit for 5 minutes and then put the phone into dfu recovery mode..

then i used recboot to exit recovery mode..

you should be able to boot up now and you will see the cydia icon (happy..happy..joy...joy)

6. Zac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont have SHSH blobs saved for 4.2.6. Can I do this with 4.2.8?

7. volenec macrumors newbie

Firmware issue?

When I get to step 4, itunes tells me 'the iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.' i am using the following firmware file -- iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw Anybody have any suggestions as to what I might do differently to get the restore to work?

8. Icyman macrumors newbie

Verizon 4.2.6

I can make it all the way to step 8 but I cant get out of recovery.
    I thought I was home free when I saw that pineapple.

In order to be able to get that far I had to do a fresh install of 4.2.10 then downgrade to 4.2.6 iOS.

9. Icyman macrumors newbie

Verizon 4.2.10 restored to 4.2.6 (4.2.8)

OK, Big thanks to mylyf.

It worked, sort of.
    I went through it several times.

I'm on win7 so I'm going to edit the original post to reflect that.
    I gave up on 4.2.8 as I had blobs for both. I had previous been JB on 4.2.6 but could never get it to work on 4.2.8 iOS. I had to uprade from 4.2.6 to 4.2.8 (or so I thought) many months ago because my phone stopped ringing and calls went to voice mail then I would get the notice that I had a VM. Weird, I know. Maybe this is familiar to some.

Before trying this I had failed at JB 4.2.8 to the point of having to restore to 4.2.10. then I tried to downgrade to 4.2.8 with snowbreeze, no luck. in the process I tried to restore to 4.2.10 again and got errors. If you think you bricked your iphone, I doubt it. very hard to do. I don't remember how I finally got it to restore to 4.2.10 but I'm sure it was one of the tools. This is so frustrating and a big waste of time. I hate to say it but this is still the best smart phone I've ever owned.

So here we go.
    here are the step by step instructions.. (downgrade verizon to 4.2.8)
    (i downgraded to 4.2.6 and i used a PC)

shut down itunes
    make sure you have:
    4.2.8 or 4.2.6 firmware with blobs.
    redsnow 0.9.6rc19
    tinyumbrella
    (pay attention to step 6 where it says to use 4.2.6 this will jb your phone)

1a. I restored fresh 4.2.10 iOS as I had been trying to restore all evening. Make sure you are starting with a functioning iPhone 4.

1b. edit the hosts file and make sure gs.apple.com points to cydia server
    if that is where your blobs are saved.. (74.208.105.171). OR, I used tinyumbrella with correct settings. Start Tinyumbrella. Make sure you can see the blobs for the iOS you are downgrading to, 4.2.6 or 4.2.8

2. startup itunes (make sure this is a fresh start of itunes)

3. put phone into dfu mode (http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/ip...dummies-16020/) This is really easy as your phone should already be plugged into your PC so you can verify your blobs. Turn off phone, hold PWR & Home until you hear the familiar tone, release PWR only. when you hear the 2nd tone release Home. (I don't think it matters if you hold the Home key longer than needed.)

4. itunes popup will say your phone is in recovery mode..
    (hit shift-restore and choose the 4.2.6 or 4.2.8 firmware)

5. this will get to about 60-75% and then will reboot and you will
    have the itunes logo with the usb cable. I repeated this step more than once to get to the logo/usb.

6. startup redsnow and follow the onscreen instruction choose the 4.2.6 firmware and then on the next screen choose install cydia..

7. on the next screen it goes through the instructions to put the phone
    into dfu mode, in step 3.. hold it down the home button until you see the firmware being written to the iphone (on the iphone screen) then you can release the home button (this is where i was previously messing up in that i was not holding it down long enough so i held it until the phone rebooted and the pineapple came up) "I held the home key until I saw the RamDisk loader on the iPhone. It may not even matter but we'll do anything to get it to work, right." I closed iTunes.

8. then you will see it reboot with the pineapple on the screen, when i got to the installing bundles section i let it sit for 5 minutes and then put the phone into dfu recovery mode.. (this is tricky. I did this part more than once too. Do yourself a favor. Note the time when you first see the pineapple. if after 10mins it's still on the pineapple, you may want to start over with step #2. it starts with "Moving Applications" then lastly "Installing Bundles". It sits at 85% for the longest time.

9. then i used tinyumbrella to Exit Recovery. I did click on Fix Recovery the first time as I had read that is what you are supposed to for 4.2.1 and higher iOS but it didn't work. Here is the problem, I didn't know what to expect. after clicking Exit Recovery it didn't reboot my iPhone completely. it was the Emergency Call screen. I needed the next part to finish it.

10. restart iTunes. instead of the "restore your phone" pop-up, I saw update carrier. then restore contacts and such. Don't screw this up.

11. you should be able to boot up now and you will see the cydia icon (happy..happy..joy...joy) I opened cydia and restored my apps in there.

I went around in circles so many times as I'm sure you have too that I'm not sure if the exact details are 100% dead on. If this works for you, please please, post a follow up. Correct and clarify this thread. Perhaps you can get 4.2.8 or 4.2.7 to work. Good Luck!!!

10. d.shorty1 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

i tried ios5 and was forced to restore to 4.2.10. after days of trying to downgrade back to 4.2.8, i almost gave up and just settled that my phone worked. finally, i tried something silly. even though i was on 4.2.10, i used snowbreeze to build a custom 4.2.8 ipsw...and guess what, it worked. my blobs were saved but couldnt get tiny umbrella to kick my phone out of the recovery loop.

so, again, try snowbreeze and build a custom 4.2.8 ipsw. follow the instructions to put your phone into true DFU mode and install. it *should* work if you have ur blobs saved. ive done it twice with 2 different phones. hope this helps

11. cmc5dc macrumors newbie

will try and report back

12. d.shorty1 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

i forgot to mention, after getting ur phone to dfu mode in snowbreeze, then open itunes and do shift+restore and use the custom ispw u built : )