Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geno59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Java script is enabled but I still can't download it. Is there anywhere I should look to remove an old version and start over? I do have it with Safari and it works fine. I just can't seem to get it to work with Firefox. Thanks for the advice.

geno59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Sorry about the confusion. I'm trying to install it from Adobe. You can see the download bar working but afterwards it disappears and Adobe flash isn't installed.

jmann

macrumors 604
Sorry about the confusion. I'm trying to install it from Adobe. You can see the download bar working but afterwards it disappears and Adobe flash isn't installed.

I'll try to help. If it is a dmg being downloaded, then you should check in your downloads folder and see if you can run it from there. Also after it's done being downloaded, have you tried restarting firefox?

geno59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
I have tried restarting Firefox but with no luck. Sorry for my lack of computer knowledge but I'm not sure what a DMG files is. Here is a list of plug in files I found.

DivXBrowserPlugin.plugin
Disabled Plug-Ins
Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin
QuickTime Plugin.plugin
VerifiedDownloadPlugin.plugin
iPhotoPhotocast.plugin
QuickTime Plugin.webplugin
nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin
JavaPluginCocoa.bundle
DirectorShockwave.plugin
Flash Player.plugin
npdivx.xpt
Quartz Composer.webplugin
Internet Plug-Ins

I also found an Adobe folder that contained Acrobat.com and a Quick time player. Hope this helps. Thanks for your help!

geno59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
I just found Install flash player 10 ub.dmg in my downloads folder. I installed it from there and it installed successfully but I am still having problems playing videos on youtube. A message comes up staing either Java is turned off or I need the latest Adobe player.

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
i'm having the same problem. I make it through the installation and it says it installs but when i open firefox and try to watch a flash video it prompts me that i need the to get the latest flash player to watch the vid. I tried running the uninstaller and than reinstalling but that also failed.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    67 KB · Views: 42

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I just found Install flash player 10 ub.dmg in my downloads folder. I installed it from there and it installed successfully but I am still having problems playing videos on youtube. A message comes up staing either Java is turned off or I need the latest Adobe player.

By any chance are you guy's running the plugin "NoScript" in Firefox???

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
i was running noscript and i thought that might have been a problem even though i whitelisted the site so i disabled it and it still won't work.

Also, i'm not sure if this normal but when i run the install (like i did above) i searched with spotlight for where the flash player is installing to and it won't show up anywhere

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
the same video works in safari idk if that matters but it should be the same player right?

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
the same video works in safari idk if that matters but it should be the same player right?

I run "NoScript" and when a page doesn't load you have to tell "NoScript" to accept it from the bottom right hand corner. I think you know that but sometimes you have to reload the page. If that don't work you might have to remove all temps that you accepted. You can also try to clear out the cache. I find that a pain since Firefox loads 95% of the pages if not more I just run Safari for the ones that don't.

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
yeah, i always refresh after i disable if it doesn't auto redirect you back to the page. I tried what you suggested and deleted all my temp files and cache but it still doesn't work.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar

If you're having issues with Java still, run the Software Update from the Apple Menu item. Most likely there is a Java or system update that will help out.

If you're in 10.4 still, after any files are installed and the machine restarts, run the update again, and then once more until it says that there are no more updates left. Java in 10.4 has sequential updates that need to be installed, and doesn't have one big update.

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
You running something is the back ground. It could be a third party application thats the problem.

on the background of firefox or the system itself? little snitch but i can't imagine that would be the problem. adblock and noscript but i've tried disabling them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.