Can't download anything!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BLDun, Jan 25, 2009.

1. BLDun macrumors regular

I upgraded the hard drive in my iMac to a larger one and upgraded to Leopard. Now every time I try to download something I get this message:

/Users//barrydunlap/Desktop/4tvmS0Z1.exe.part could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.

Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location.

I have changed the download location multiple times but no help.

And ideas??

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I repaired permissions but made no difference. But I did find something that I need help with. I hope I can explain this correctly.

When I installed the new hard drive on my iMac I loaded Leopard on it and then sync'd it to my MacBookPro and loaded all my files from it to the iMac. At some point - and I don't know how - I ended up with two users on the iMac. One is for Barry Dunlap which is the same as the one on my MacBookPro and the other is for Barry L. Dunlap. I used the newer one - second one - as the main one and upgraded everything from there. Now I find that if I try to download anything when I am logged in as Barry L. Dunlap I get the above message but if I log out and then back in under user Barry Dunlap I can download all I want.

I went to the System Preferences and users and made sure that Barry L. Dunlap was listed as the main administrator and was also the name under which the iMac would log into when it was started.

Any ideas why this would do this or what I need to do to fix it??

Also, is it possible to eliminate one of the users?