Can't download free MP3's from Google in China

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac44, Apr 6, 2009.

1. mac44 macrumors member

Google is now offering unlimited free downloads of commercial music on their website in China - google.cn/music. Everything is free, but your IP address has to be in China. I live in Beijing.

I am using a G5 iMac with 10.5.6 and Safari 4 and Firefox 3.08. I am unable to download MP3's from either browser on this computer. I get an error "403 Forbidden nginx/0.6.32".

However, I CAN download MP3's from an old G4 with OS 10.4.11 with both Safari and Firefox, no problem. A friend can download MP's with the newest Intel MacBook and OS 10.5.6.

So why doesn't my G5 Mac work? It's a real puzzle to me.

Steve in Beijing

2. rogermugs macrumors newbie

did you find a solution?

did you find a solution? - I'm having the same issue... doesn't work on my macbook pro 4 or my macbook 1, or windows 7beta in virtualbox.
    same error....

let me know if you've found a solution.

3. mac44 thread starter macrumors member

Still a mystery to me...

It's very puzzling. I can download on an 9 year G4 and a 3 month old MacBook, but can not download on a G5 iMac. Very strange indeed!

Are you in China too?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Make a new user account on that computer and try.

5. mac44 thread starter macrumors member

Nope. Didn't work. Created new user account. Same error message.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Open up Network Preferences, click on the Advanced button in the lower right. Click on the DNS tab and check to see if you have a manually entered DNS server address. If you have one or more dimmed or gray DNS servers and only those one or two, disregard. If there is a black one you can remove by clicking on the - sign below the list, click apply to save changes and try revisiting the website.

7. Dan in PA macrumors regular

I cannot figure out how to make my IP appear to be chinese (I'm in the US)...I have googled it, and am still having difficulty..

I hate to ask such a stupid question, maybe someone will provide me with a ****** link :p

edit: Found it.... :p