Can't download from ftp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by khw, Feb 11, 2010.

1. khw macrumors newbie

I'm trying to download a WMA file from a server. I can connect to the server, the passwords work okay and I can see the file, but when I try to download I get one of two messages, either 'can't connect to host' or 'resource unavailable'.

I'm using an iMac 10.4.11 and I believe I have my firewall set correctly. I've also tried to download via an ftp manager (actually I've tried about 3) with the same results. Can anyone help with some advice? I've recently returned to mac after using a pc for years and I'm not the most technical person. The server host doesn't think there are problems their end.

Many thanks.

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Does the file have strange or unusual characters in the name? I could see this happening if for instance the filename is of another text encoding.

3. khw thread starter macrumors newbie

When I right-click to download it tries to link me to this page:

[ftp.pointbreak.co.za/PG28576%2028-FTs-CW-Dir%20R2.WMA[/url]

On the other hand, the person who works for the company this came from managed to download the file from here.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

(First of all I suggest you edit out the user/pass from the ftp url; it's the part before @. I'm not sure what's on there but having that info public is probably not a good idea.)

I'm suspecting it might be a permission issue. If the user you're logging in with doesn't have read-permission for that file that would probably be the error returned. Have the admin try downloading it using the same login info he gave you, or check the permissions for that user.

5. khw thread starter macrumors newbie