Can't download from Safari on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nrivas, Aug 27, 2009.

1. nrivas macrumors member

hey guys,

Is anyone else having this problem? i go to download a program or file and it just takes me to a blank page. I can download fine with any other browser, i.e. Firefox, Camino, Shiira.

2. kepner macrumors 6502

You wouldn't happen to have Speed Download installed, would you?

This was happening to me until I turned off Speed Download's Safari plugin.

3. nivam macrumors newbie

happens to me too, and as I read in other forums is a global problem.... :(

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I can download with no issue from Safari in Snow Leopard. I click the link and it starts downloading to my Downloads folder.

I am not using any third-party programs or plug-ins that relate to downloading.

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Really? Which forums?

6. nivam macrumors newbie

well I thing I saw it at macforums.com, but the thing is that I and others a I know cannot download, I have the same issue as mentioned in first post

cheers

7. Donut4000 macrumors member

Donut4000

Glad it isn't me then. I posted earlier that I couldn't install 4.0.3 into SL - got the message I need to be running 10.5.8. This one was my next issue :rolleyes: Seems there are a few kinks that need ironing out on my computer.
    For what it's worth, I did an upgrade install - I'm wondering whether to go for a fresh OS install instead. it is probably a bad idea bug hunting <and> running 3rd party bit and bobs...
    On the whole though, I am generally very much enjoying SL - much more responsive and smooth OS, where window populate in a flash, and scrolling rarely stutters. There are wee bugs/incompatabilities, but the plastic wrap is barely off, and there are no show stoppers for me. It is nice to use a more spring cleaned OS: 90% re-write is a lot of work....

8. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

Weird! I disabled Speed Download, removed the plugin manually, rebooted and stillgot the glitch (both with SD proper on my iMac and SD:light on MBP)..

I ran the uninstaller script on both machines and it fixed them.. So maybe if you have an old, disabled copy of a download manager it can interfere with safari somehow.. Glad to have it fixed anyway, SD has been increasingly pointless as my cable speeds have been bumped, hehe.

9. sailsmart macrumors newbie

Can't use latest safari with Snow Leopard

Nobody answered the guy's question and wandered off on a tangent about how you love Snow Leopard operating system. Well I would think that Safari should update immediately without a compatibility problem. Why does it matter when I'm using Firefox most of the time? Well, Dreamweaver only wants to preview in Safari on my Mac for some reason (even after designating browser preference).
    When I look at About this Mac it ought to say I'm running Snow Leopard. I can't even verify that after doing the full install. Which was easy and trouble free - backed everything up and restored all my files. If that works so well, then my expectations for a well running machine and integration with familiar programs are dashed to bits with this hacky wacky nonsense with Safari.
    Junk is junk.
    I want and need the latest version of Safari. What gives?