Can't download L4D2 on steam macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by squidsta, Jun 25, 2011.

1. squidsta macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Today on my steam account I bought L4D2 for 20 dollars on my macbook pro. At first it was downloading very slow. It then said suspended for about 10 minutes so I restarted steam. And now, in the "All Games" section of my library it continuously says "Left 4 Dead 2 - Starting Download...", however it never actually starts. To get it downloading I have tried the following things:

-Restarting steam
    -Leaving it for a few hours then coming back to it
    -Renaming the "clientregistry.blob"
    -Deleting the "clientregistry.blob"
    -Clicked on "Delete local game content"
    -Changing the "download region" (several times)
    -Restarting my computer
    -Double clicking on "Left 4 Dead 2". When I do this it says "validating files". Then "files successfully validated". Then it says "steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request, please try again in a few minutes" When if that the case why have i waited far more than a few minutes? And I can download anything else. The only thing that won't download is Left 4 Dead 2.

PLEASE give me some suggestions. There is no way for me to personally contact steam through email or a phone call. I don't want my 20 dollars to have gone to a complete waste because of steam errors. I could really do with help from someone.

Thanks a lot!

2. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I had this issue last week - and I'd downloaded & installed L4D & L4D2 in October/November 2010 (I'd last played in Nov 2010).

I wish I could remember exactly which directories I had to navigate to, but you want to look for the .blob and the .ncf files that go with L4D2. Rename the .blob file to Old<whatever-it's-called>.blob (this way, you have a copy of the original, should it ever be needed), and then delete all the .ncf files. Restart Steam, and try your download again.

I *think* it's Library/Application Data/Steam/Left for Dead 2, but I'm stuck at work, and won't be home or another 2 hours. I'll check when I get home.

ETA: Sorry ... I just saw in your post where you'd edited the .blob file. Try removing the .ncf files. I ended up having to rename the .blob _and_ delete the .ncf before it worked.

3. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Okay here's exactly what I did:

1) deleted L4D2 off the computer. Then I attempted to download it again, but kept getting "servers too busy."

2) Quit Steam

3) (home)/Library/Application Support/Steam --> renamed ClientRegistry.blob to 'oldClientRegistry.blob'

4) (home)/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps

5) removed ALL L4D2 .ncf files (I'm showing 3 total files). This included emptying the recycle bin

6) Restart Steam & the download.

Since I did that, I've had no problems with the game.

4. Astra92 macrumors newbie

I'm having this same issue, but I'm using Lion and can't seem to find the Steam folder under Application Support. Anyone?

5. The.Walrus macrumors member

On Lion, you'll need to go to the System/Library not User/Library. To do this, you'll need to go to Finder, hold down the option button, and from the "Go" menu, select "Library."

You can then navigate to System/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps to find your downloaded apps.

Hope this helps.

Paul

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sorry about the issues, kind of surprised there isnt that much talk about this one on the Mac. Its allways a good thing to see those Mac versions of popular games. Very happy Steam made this one for us.

7. JonasDK, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

JonasDK macrumors member

Finally

I had the same issue. It would not download do to "busy server" etc.

I tried following the guide above, but it did not work.

What I did was, I just kept clicking the game - when I got the "busy server" I just kept pressing the game.

In the "steamapps"-folder I could see that more and more files appeared as I pressed the game (the .ncf files etc.)

Suddenly it started downloading - but during the download it stopped a lot of times, however finally the game was downloaded, and everything works fine now.

I don't know if the above makes any sense, but that was what I did, and it worked.